Sick Guppy Help

1. I

IncyWincySpooder New Member Member

I'm hoping some of you much more knowledgeable fish keepers can help me.

I have a guppy that has spent the last week sitting on the bottom of the tank barely moving and seeming to be breathing very heavily. He's barely been eating but will frantically try to get to some bits of food as they go past when he notices them. I've tried giving him sinking pellets but he doesn't seem able to tip himself to nibble at them. I've tried giving him finely crumbled flake as close to him as I can get without panicking him but he ignores it after the first mouthful or two.

I transferred him and another of his tank mates into a separate quarantine tank when I noticed this behaviour in both of them. I bought some all-round medication for bacteria/fin rot/ulcers etc and have dosed according to instructions for the last 5 days as per my advice from my LFS. Did a 75% water change before starting medication. The other sick guppy died after a couple of days but this little guy is still hanging on but not improving. Does anyone have any advice as to what it may be and how to treat it?

If he's unlikely to recover can anyone recommend the dosage for clove oil to euthanize him? I'd rather he wasn't suffering or starving to death.

Bit of tank info:
    Both were bought from my LFS about 6 months ago.
    The main tank is a 125 litre planted tank with a sand substrate that has been running fine for over 6 months.
    Recently added some zebra danios, new guppies, glowlight tetras and pentazonas (about 5 of each)
    Older tank mates are a couple of guppies, some neon tetras, a pair of julii corys and a pair of bristlenose plecos.
    Quarantine tank he is now in is a 40 litre with a sand substrate that I was just about to finish setting up as a shrimp breeding tank after it finished cycling.
    Both tanks have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite 5 nitrate. The big tank had higher than that but a water change sorted it out without any recurring problems.

2. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

Could you post some pics? It may help.

3. OP
    OP
    I

He died in the night :(

4. LilBlub

I’m so sorry. I wish I could’ve helped. Poor dude :(.

Are all your other guppies still healthy? No signs that they’re sick?

5. OP
    OP
    I

6. LilBlub

I’m sorry, I really don’t know what’s going on with them... It must be something contagious if they keep getting it. Did you notice anything like pineconing scales, sores, fungus, etc?

7. OP
    OP
    I

They look absolutely fine in all other aspects. Fins and scales look healthy, not too bloated or too thin. The treatment I gave the others treated ulcers, fin rot, red veins, bacteria and a coupe of other things. I thought it was a swim bladder problem at first but my LFS said it wasn't. Could it be a parasite that's been introduced with the new fish?

8. LilBlub

It’s possible that it could be parasites, although I really don’t know what kind. It could be a swim bladder infection caused by some kind of contagious agent, like bacteria or parasites. The fact that they’re just laying on the bottom with no other symptoms makes me want to say it is a swim bladder infection.

9. OP
    OP
    I

Third guppy died last night. Is it worth trying to treat the whole tank to try and prevent any more issues?
    I changed about 2/3's of the filter media a couple of weeks ago. I replaced wool and active carbon and added 3 layers of sponges. Would this cause any problems? I left the bio balls and ceramic rings in the filter and none of the substrate, plants or wood have been changed.

10. LilBlub

I would just go ahead and medicate the tank. Whatever it is, it’s obviously spreading. I hope you don’t lose any more!

If all your water parameters are normal (which they seem to be, reading your first post) then I don’t think it has anything to do with changing the filter media.