Sick Guppy :(

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Rosa Jacoby, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Rosa Jacoby

Rosa JacobyNew MemberMember

A couple of days ago I bought 6 healthy Guppies and they are still healthy and swimming around like crazy. However, the guppy I already had is not doing too well.

20170719_192519.jpg

When I added the new Guppies I did not put in the water from the bag. Not sure how my guppy could have gotton ill. She wont even eat brine shrimp.

This is my big tank:

20170719_192541.jpg20170719_192532.jpg P.S: let us all just take a second to appreciate that bright orange Guppy for a second
    20170719_192552.jpg

2. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

3. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

Is there a filter on that tank?

Keeping her in the plastic breeder will probably make it worse. Guppies are easily stressed and having nowhere to hide an being in plain sight usually makes problems worse instead of better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Floated them in the tank then tipped them into a net over a bucket

5. California L33

California L33Well Known MemberMember

I'm thinking she might be stressed from the new tank mates. That tank looks awfully barren, with no places where somebody scared can really get away from the others and de-stress.

However, when you get a sick fish the first thing you need to do is start with water parameters-

What is the temperature?

What is the ammonia reading?

What is the nitrite reading?

What is the nitrate reading?

(If you don't know those last two, when is the last time you did a partial water change? Also, generally speaking, when you get a sick fish, doing a partial water change of 30%-40% should be about the first thing you try. Make sure it's roughly the same temperature, and that it's been treated to remove chlorine.)

6. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Yeah there is. Yeah you're right actually... and maybe shes just stressed out from all her new tank mates?

I carefully moved her to this so she feels safer:

20170720_081019.jpg20170720_081011.jpg20170720_081003.jpg

7. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

Do you have any way to test the water quality?

8. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Do you have the ability to quarantine her? She looks skinny and sick to me. Possibly internal parasites. At the very least she would be getting daily salt baths for a while, and I would get her away from the other fish.

9. California L33

Something I just thought of, but should have thought of sooner- if she's got new fish in the tank, but the only one sick has been in it some time, poor water quality has had a chance to weaken that first fish longer than the others. It could be a bellwether. It's hard to tell from that picture, but I can't be certain I don't see pink around the gills. She really needs to either test water, or do a partial water change ASAP. (What I'm afraid of is that the others will start to become sick and she'll think a 'disease' has been passed from the first to the others, when in reality it's just bad water.)

10. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

No she has no visible signs of illness but is just acting sick. I'll start doing a larger water change everyday and see how that goes. Thank you

11. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

You're going to be glad to hear that I am geing to be more devoted to water changes from now on. The past 6 months I have been terrible with them.
    20170720_165000.jpg
    Is 50% once a week a good amount?

12. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

In the absence of water testing I say it is a good idea. You look lightly stocked but if you don't know your parameters you should err on the side of caution. With a sick fish in the tank you might want to do a couple large WCs soon to make sure nitrates are low. It's quite possible a smaller WC might be fine after water is cleaned up, but without testing you don't know.

13. California L33

Personally, I'd do a 40% change every day for three days- water and chlorine remover are cheap, and unless there's something totally screwy going on with your water you'll almost always do more good than harm- just make sure you add the new de-chlorinated and temperature matched water nice and slow. I know it's no picnic if that's your 150 liter tank, but it's part of fish keeping.

Is 50% a week a good amount? It depends on a number of factors, but almost undoubtedly yes. However, as @OnTheFly says, in the absence of actual readings we are but guessing. It's nice to be able to measure and say, "Well it's not the three usual suspects- ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates."

14. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

What we are trying to say is buy a water testing kit lol. They are barely over $20 on the internet. You don't have to check water daily for all eternity. But with a few tests per week for awhile you can actually figure out what makes sense for your tank stocking. I don't find WCs all that entertaining with the number of tanks I have. I don't change water for no reason. There is nothing magical about 50% or a weekly interval. I have several small tanks that need a 50% several times per week. I have some larger tanks that could go weeks between WCs if I chose to and still only need a 25% to stay clean.

15. California L33

@OnTheFly

I absolutely agree. Nothing is better than knowing, but if you read her profile she's only 17. I know she's got some sizeable tanks, but I also remember what it's like to be young and have empty pockets, though if that's the case, it might be the time to approach the softest parental target even if it means mowing lawns or washing dishes for a while :D

16. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

Good catch. I didn't have a water testing kit when I was 17 either. :)

17. Kellye8498

Kellye8498Well Known MemberMember

That acclimated them to the right temp but didn't introduce them to your water. It would be like putting you in a bubble full of air and then dropping you at the top of Mount Everest. Probably wouldn't end well when you lost your air bubble up there.

You have to add a little of your tank water to the bag every few minutes to get them used to your water before netting them out and placing them in the tank to avoid shock. Shock opens them up to a ton of diseases.

18. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Yes haha I have no money and trying to get a job! Thanks for understanding lol

19. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Ohhh I have just started doing this because YouTubers that are very experienced with fish do it like Rachel O'Leary and King of DIY, but I guess they know all the exact parameters of their tanks and I don't because I don't have any testing kits... I don't know. Next time I'll do what you suggested thanks :)

20. OP
    OP
    Rosa Jacoby

Is it bad to be under-stocked?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice