Sick Guppy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Black4estgirl, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Black4estgirlNew MemberMember

I have 2 male guppies and one male cobra endler in my 5 gal minibow. They've all seemed fine until a few days ago when one of my guppies went to the bottom left corner of the tank under the heater and is just sitting there! He's not on the bottom, just swimming near it, except he doesn't seem to move much. Also when I got him he had this beautiful tail and it seems to be really squished up, almost like a paintbrush now. He does come up to eat, I fed them this morning, but then he goes right back to his corner! He seems to just be treading water down there but sometimes he starts moving realu fast, it almost looks like he's shaking his head, but doesn't go anywhere. Does anyone know what might be wrong with him? Or how I could help?
    I don't have a test kit. Can anyone suggest a good one preferably for not a lot of money.

2. peppergeneNew MemberMember

The squished up fins means they're "clamped" and is a sign of stress or illness, I believe. A good test kit isn't cheap. the paper strips are cheaper but less accurate than an API master test. Any other symptoms? discolored stringy feces, upturned scales, or anything else "fishy"? pardon the pun :p

3. OP
    OP
    B

Black4estgirlNew MemberMember

Just his odd behavior, not swimming around and floating near the bottom. Thanks for the help! I'll look into getting a kit

4. TylerLovesFish

TylerLovesFishWell Known MemberMember

I had a guppy who actually laid at the bottom for a day, barely moved (I honestly thought it was about to die) then magically recovered. Is it possibly being harassed by the other guppy or the endler?

5. OP
    OP
    B

For a while one of the guppies was following him around and wouldn't leave hi alone but that stopped about a day before this

6. TylerLovesFish

As friends or harassing? My guppies play with each other. Also do you know how old the guppy is?

7. OP
    OP
    B

Not sure they were all new to the tank. He's pretty young. He's about 3/4 an inch long

8. OP
    OP
    B

He's kinda floating at an angle now, his tail is pointing more towards the bottom of the tank while his upper half is flat/ slightly angled to the surface. And he's moved. Now he's right next to the heater floating by the surface image.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    B

Woah that picture definitely went in sideways. Sorry.

10. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

I'd say the sooner you can get a test kit the better. I would recommend getting API liquid test kits- it doesn't even have to be the master kit, just test for nitrate/nitrite/ammonia.

Do you know the temperature of the tank?

I'd start with doing a 50% water change and see if things get better.

11. OP
    OP
    B

I did a 20% water change today. My other guppy and the endler seem very happy. They are swimming all over the place. The temperature is about 76 degrees F. I'll try to get one soon.

12. TylerLovesFish

I can't see a thing in that photo. Where is he? Sorry, so much pink! I'll look on my computer when I get home

13. OP
    OP
    B

He's between the pink (fake) plant and the heater but in that picture he's sideways. Nothing much has changed. He did come out at one point and swim around, but it was really erratic looking. Thts probably because his tail is all clamped up. None of my other fish seem affect though. Is there any chance they could get sick too? I'm going to buy a test kit as soon as I can get my mom to take me to the pet store

14. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I'm not sure what might be causing this. The only thing I can think of is poor water quality, but if your water tests ok, then I'm stuck.

I've kept guppies in the past, and have a couple now, and I found that due to bad breeding from large chain stores they often get sick and die out of nowhere. That could also be the cause. I just had to euthanize one of mine because of poor quality.

15. TylerLovesFish

Is his tail shrinking any? Like fin rot? I had one die of fin rot, and another i belive currently has it. They tend do do this when they have fin rot from my experiences

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  16. OP
    OP
    B

We're picking up a test today to check on that. He had a big fanlike tail when I first got him and it slowly has become almost paintbrush like in shape, also it curves down. I'm not sure if that's shrinking or if he's clamped it or what.

17. TylerLovesFish

If it's shrinking, then it might be fin rot. Watch and see if the tail is shrinking. If not, then I am not really sure, usually a clamped tail is stress. Please post the tests whenever possible, so we know if it could be a water issue. What's the Temp of the water?

18. OP
    OP
    B

The water temp is about 75-76 degrees. So... He survived the night! He was swimming around this morning but as soon as I turned the light on he went back to the bottom left corner...

19. TylerLovesFish

Was he swimming with his tail out?

20. OP
    OP
    B

No it was still in, not all fanned out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice