Sick guppy

1. Marc Well Known Member Member

Ok, I have four Guppies and one of them is acting very strangely. The other 3 are totally fine, my water is checking out great on all tests, and my temperature is normal. However, this one female Guppy is just sitting in one spot in the water and looks funny. It's holding it's mouth open and just staying in one spot and barely moving. It doesn't seem to be trying to get air, it's just sitting near the surface. Any idea what's wrong with my guppy? :(

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

I've been forced to euthanise the fish.. it was obviously deteriorating very rapidly... it could barely swim and was dying fairly quickly...

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

It was dead within 3 minutes of being placed in the chilled water in my freezer. Hopefully I prevented it from most of it's suffering :(

4. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about your guppy marc -- :( :'( :mad: :-[ ???

Now do you have to worry about your other guppies? is the disease "catchable"?

5. Marc Well Known Member Member

Hopefully not. From what I've read it's always present in/near the Guppy but only shows itself if the fish is weakened.

6. Jon Well Known Member Member

umm it might have been pregnant lol... im not sure how bad it actually looked but pregnant livebearers stay away from the rest of the fish in one place sometimes near the surface for a while before giving birth... it was probably a disease (i hope)... im not sure exactly how bad the fish looked.

lol if the fish was pregnant that would really make for a dirty conscience... killing her and all her babies for no reason lol jk im sure it was sick

i hear chilled water is inhumane use 1:4 vodka:water next time plz if its not too much trouble

7. Marc Well Known Member Member

It was NOT inhumane. They were dead and upside down in the bottom 3 minutes after when I checked.

It was definitely not pregnant - when I first saw it it was looking sickly - sluggish, red spots, and wouldn't close it's mouth. About a half hour later it was obviously dying - it wouldn't run from my hand, it couldn't swim faster than a weak push, it started to breathe even faster, and it was doing a whole bunch of other stuff - definitely dying.

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

chilled water isn't humane, but sticking them in a cup and THEN freezing it, is. What he did (I assume) is chill the water cold enough to kill them fast, then put them in. This is fast and humane. But yes, the vodka method is humane too. ;)

9. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

yes it would definately be horrible if he put them in reg water and THEN freezing them (like you said Emma) but I think what he did was fine too.

10. Jon Well Known Member Member

Sorry i did not understand what he was saying with the chilled water...

As for the guppy disease goes I was merely speculating and as I said was pretty sure it was probably diseased... I didnt know how bad it was until your last post but of course it was sick. Just throwin stuff out there.

11. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

If you ever have another sick Guppy, try a salt bath before you euthanize. I once had a Guppy with some mystery illness, and after two salt baths she was perfectly fine again. Put some tank water in a container large enough that the fish can swim around and the water will stay warm for a while. Then put in several tablespoons of aquarium salt per gallon. I also put in a bit of Aquari-sol, a mild, multi-purpose medication, just for the heck of it since I had some on hand. Then leave the fish in until a) he shows signs of distress, such as difficulty staying upright, or b) you've been sitting there for like 10 or 15 minutes and your fish is still swimming around happily. Net the fish back in to the tank. Do this once a day until the fish gets better or else he goes beyond hops for recovery. If the fish is too far gone, a salt bath may be too stressful for him, on the other hand if you can't identify the disease, and then treat for it, it may be your only chance of saving the fish. Just thought you'd like to know in case another fish gets sick, and sorry about your fish :'(

12. Jon Well Known Member Member

good advice

13. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

yes very good advice -- but its so sad when it actually comes down to you having to do that :(

14. Marc Well Known Member Member

Next time I'll try it - but when I first saw it it was already pretty bad, and by the time I could even do anything about it it was almost dead and obviously suffering :(

Why can't fish get sick when I'm awake!

15. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

It always happens like that - the first and only (knock on wood) time I had ick, it ocurred while i was sleeping and by the time i woke up, 3 were dead :(

16. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, salt baths aren't just meant for a last resort.  They're a very good 'natural' cure for common diseases, especially Ich.

17. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Oh most definately, but I meant it like, it's sad that you have to do it because your fish are sick :(

18. Jon Well Known Member Member

yep sick fish are definately saddening but you gotta do it for your fish

19. Marc Well Known Member Member

Jon - how can you say that after joking about possibly having killed both the Guppy and it's young?

Sorry, I'm not in a good mood today and that just really irks me.

20. Jon Well Known Member Member

what do you mean? i joke around but having sick fish still makes me sad... just because i like to make light of situations does not mean i dont care about my fish or that i wouldnt do what i can to help them.