Sick guppy- URGENT!

1. BellatheBetta Member Member

This morning I woke up to find my older male guppy looking a bit sick. He is hanging around the bottom a lot, hovering in the water but not swimming around. He also looks to have a drooping and maybe slightly clamped tail. I had a guppy 3 weeks ago that had some of tese symptoms but died. I treated the whole tank first with a general tonic the waited for that to clear and then added an anti internal bacteria. Although the guppy died, the other fish were all very healthy and have been for the past 3 weeks. I also did a 45% scheduled water change last night. This guppy is also the only sick one in the tank. Any help greatly appriciated for my much loved fish!

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are your current parameters? What was the general tonic you added and what antibacterial meds did you use?

3. BellatheBetta Member Member

Water params are all good- ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 10ppm
    The general tonic and antibacterial treatment are both by aquacare (by maidenhead aquatics).

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How long have you had the fish and how long has the tank been set up? What size is the tank? Any new fish added? What's your current stock? Do you have the KH/GH test?

5. BellatheBetta Member Member

Tank has been set up for a good 6 months. Have had this guppy for 4 months. Tank is 7 gallons and I added a second guppy 2 weeks ago. The two guppies are the only things there. And no, no GH or KH test kits.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you have it tested at your LPS or look it up with the water company? Water hardness is extremely important to guppies.

7. BellatheBetta Member Member

ok will do that next time I go. Is there anything i can do in the meantime to help? I really love him and couldnt bare to loose him.

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Is he swimming differently at all? Shaking? You can try adding a 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to the water. Such a tiny amount shouldn't hurt and may help if that's the problem. However, take a sample of water before you add it.

9. BellatheBetta Member Member

he is swimming a bit more now. this morning he was 'shimmying' a bit but seems to have stopped now.

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would err on the side of caution then and raise the hardness a little, with baking soda if that's all you have. Then try to get your hands on the KH/GH test results and maybe something like crushed coral, eggshells, limestone, crushed oyster shells (chickens eat them), or the liquid additives meant for raising water hardness.

11. BellatheBetta Member Member

ok thanks for all your help!

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Good luck! Let us know how he gets on x