Sick guppy. Help appreciated!!

Elizabethgold

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 27 gallons
How long has the tank been running? Around 2 weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes, sponge filter rated 40g plus, and the past day and now I added a clear fluval 40 from another tank. I also had the fluval 40 on the tank for the first few days of cycling, in order to establish bacteria from the other tank, but maybe not long enough... :/
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79 Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 5-10 pond snails, two albino blue tail guppies.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Around once a week to once every two weeks, small water changes between the larger water changes at random times.
How much of the water do you change? Usually 25-30%, did a 60% water change yesterday and a 25% the day before.
What do you use to treat your water? Prime conditioner and a few squirts of aquarium coop all in one fertilizer once a week.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum the substrate but don’t go deep, just lightly go over surface.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Sort of. All the substrate (sand and eco complete) was from a cycled tank (didn’t dry out, but went directly from one tank to another) and the first few days of cycling I added a filter from another tank, but after that, I sort of thought the low bioload plus the already cycled substrate and the addition of the filter in the beginning would make things okay...? Maybe not the best assumption. :/
What do you use to test the water? API liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: I ran out and need to buy more of the testing supplies. Last test was 5/23 and it read 0
Nitrite: Last test was yesterday, 0
Nitrate: Last test was yesterday, ~30 ppm
pH: 8.1

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2-3 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? A small pinch, however with two guppies it gets hard to know how much is too little or too much sometimes.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari and aqueon crushes into smaller bits - both goldfish food (as long as the protein content is high I thought goldfish and guppies probably didn’t have that different nutritional needs..?) as well as freeze dried bloodworms every now and then and frozen food mixes that include blood worms, brine shrimp, and other stuff.
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes, about 3-4 meals a week.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About two weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A few days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Both guppies are paler, swim near the top in a “shimmy”, male is most affected and has tear in back fin and red lining his fin.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Big Water changes, but I’m not sure what to do next.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I could tell, he was very lively, but being albino I imagine also delicate :/
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He has red edges on fin and a decent tear, his fins are clamped and he is swimming near the surface.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

A few days ago, I noticed my guppies looked a little paler than usual. I was slightly concerned but it was subtle enough I wasn’t sure if i was imagining it or not. Then, I noticed a tear in the male’s tail and that his fins were clamped. The female’s fins were also tighter than usual. She had a little tiny barely noticable string thing hanging off her back fin that went away after a day. Within the past two days, her fins have unclamped and her behavior is returning to normal (swimming around, not staying near surface and shimmying). Two days ago I did a 25% water change. The male got worse yesterday. A red spot appeared at the end of his back fin. Yesterday I did a 60% water change, and added some of the all in one plant fertilizer (could be partially responsible, I’m not sure :/..) Today when I looked at him this morning the spot has become a line running all along the back of the fin and his behavior has not improved, he seems more groggy. Also, a pink tint is taking over his fins as if his veins are showing through..? I added the cycled filter from my other tank yesterday after seeing the red spot. I realize I have probably made many mistakes throughout this process, but what can I do now to help him get better? Would moving him to a completely clean, new 2.5 gallon with a cycled sponge filter and bare bottom and doing large daily water changes be the best route of action or keeping him where he is and doing large water changes and possibly medication be better? I also have a 20 gallon with 10 guppy fry in it i could put him in, I would rather not lose the fry, but to be honest his health isn’t more important to me as he was very expensive and hasn’t breed with the female yet. The 20 gallon parameters are 0 on ammonia and nitrite, somewhere between 20-30 on nitrates, however it is a bit of a sloppier tank looks wise and debris wise... the sponge filter is cycled though. Any help or advice is very much welcome. Thank you for any and all advice!!
3C165449-5A06-49AE-9EBC-7CC05935F49A.jpeg
777348E0-8128-4231-8002-F3BC581D437C.jpeg
E4A6612C-9F41-4AAB-9909-FFE095ED8255.jpeg
F46276D3-2E31-48DF-A103-6C85F85EBE89.jpeg

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sounds almost spot on for ammonia poisoning. I would get a new test kit and test for ammonia. Large water changes will definitely help if that is the issue. If the ammonia isn't the problem he may be suffering from some sort of bacterial infection. His tail looks like it could have been injured in a fight or on a filter intake or sharp decor. Other than that I can't tell much by the pics as they are too far away.

OP
Elizabethgold

Elizabethgold

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you Embers to ashes, I will try to do a larger water change now and buy a new test for ammonia, I’ll also try to get some better pictures of him! Thank you so much for the help, it is very appreciated! :)

OP
Elizabethgold

Elizabethgold

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Another quick question, would it be possible to temporarily “lock up” the ammonia with conditioner or would that possibly cause more problems?

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some conditioners can convert the ammonia to a different, less toxic form. Prime is the best one for this as it converts the ammonia to a form that can still be consumed by the beneficial bacteria. It will give inaccurate readings for ammonia when you test the water though. That is a big change in appearance for the poor male. I Hope he pulls through

OP
Elizabethgold

Elizabethgold

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you, I’m headed to work in a few so I’m ping what I can before I go. I’m waiting for the test results for ammonia and mixing up a salt solution that my sister will slowly add to the water. I know, I feel really bad and hope he will pull through too. I have prime, I’m going to add the amount for 10 gallon a to the tank (27g), will that be a reasonable amount to start with (hoping something bad doesn’t happen. Also mixing 1/2 cup aquarium salt into a few gallons of water to slowly add in

OP
Elizabethgold

Elizabethgold

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The ammonia test came back how it always has, looking somewhere between the 0 and 0.25 on the chart (even my tap water conditioned reads this way :/), however, i did a 25% water change today and used prime to condition the new water. Also, another thing that could be affecting them is A. I recently got a new light that is pretty bright (?), B. I have been having to stir up the gravel occasionally to plant plants, wondering if the debris that clouds the water a little agitates them?

OP
Elizabethgold

Elizabethgold

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He is looking a lot worse today.. Here are some photos and a video I took of him. Yesterday I was able to do a 25% water change, add 1/2 cup of salt, and add one dose (based on tank size, but 5 mL) of Microbe Lift Artemiss. Another thing that may be affecting him is that about a month ago, I had a water leak in my room and had some wood mold which I still haven’t been able to totally get rid of.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
Elizabethgold

Elizabethgold

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
His eyes are not as red as usual either.. :/ :/

New Threads