Sick Gourami Or Goofball?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Steve8719, Apr 12, 2017.

1. S

Steve8719 Valued Member Member

So my wife thought the gourami was dead, because he was sitting vertical, at the bottom of the tank, nestled lifelessly among the leaves. Then she tapped on the tank, and he swam away. He swims all over the tank, from top to bottom, picking away at the rocks and what not, but here's the thing, he's always doing it vertically, or on his side. It's not that he never swims upright, but he doesn't do it for long. I've noticed this more and more lately. I can't tell if he's just a being a goofball, or if he's ill? He's maybe a year old now, and this behavior seems to have gotten more and more prominent in the last few weeks.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. RabbitSnail895

RabbitSnail895 New Member Member

He might be having an issue with his swim bladder, it could just be a case of constipation, where a pea might fix it. But if it's been happening longer like you said it might be a more serious issue causing it.
    Does he seem to float quickly back to the top if he stops swimming?

Hope it was at least some of a help...

3. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks for the reply rabbit. He seems to go from hanging out at the top, briefly, more or less upright, to swimming straight down vertically. When he's at the bottom, he's pretty much always vertical now that I think about it. I wouldn't say he floats to the top, he seems to swim up.

You mean I should put a raw pea in for him to eat?

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with RabbitSnail895.

Is this a banded gourami?

5. OP
    OP
    S

Neon blue dwarf gourami. I soaked a few peas in hot water until they softend, and dumped them in. His tank mates seam curious about them, but he's not the least bit interested. It's too late tonight, I'll do a large w/c tomorrow morning.

I'm a dolt, I realize the peas are in shells, hahaha. I made some more, popped them out of the shells, and chopped them into bite size pieces. Now it's a feeding frenzy, except for the gourami. Hopefully he perks up and snacks on some. How long does it take to have an affect if it works?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. RabbitSnail895

RabbitSnail895 New Member Member

If he comes to the surface, I find it's helpful to press a small bit of pea to their mouth if they let you. My fish usually take it after that, mostly out of annoyance, but hey, they eat it.

What kind of food are you feeding it? You could try fasting him for a day or two.

Maybe someone who has had gouramis before might know....

7. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks. He did eat some peas last night. He's swimming around today, but still vertical a lot of the time. Today sort of exploded, so the water change will have to be tomorrow. I feed a combination of freeze dried blood worms, flakes, pellets and algae waffers. I actually think I know what went wrong though. I haven't fed them in quite awhile, as I subscribe to the it's better to forget to feed than over feed philosophy, but I think I went too long. The fish have been feeding themselves off of the algae, and I bet the algae only diet has him constipated. Hopefully the peas work their magic over the next few days.

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I think the fis is dieing Steve.
    Sorry !!!

9. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

You should be feeding once per day at least. They can go a couple days without food, but why do they have to? I feed small amounts twice per day for 5 days, fast for 24 hours and feed a blanched-deshelled pea once per week. You have the right foods, but actually feeding the fish will help for sure.

10. OP
    OP
    S

Update: My DG got slowly worse and worse over the passed few months. The food etc. suggested here never seemed to have any affect. I euthanized him tonight. I now believe he succumbed to iridovirus, which anyone considering a DG should look up.

Thanks all for the help, hopefully this thread is useful to someone else.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

sorry to hear !

12. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

So sorry for your loss

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice