Sick gourami - eye problem - please help

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sick gourami - eye problem - now weird looking hair like gross worms!

Hi everyone,

About 5 days ago, I saw that one of my flaming dwarf gouramis had swelling and redness above the eye. So I separated him and fed him medicated food. His eye got better but yesterday he stopped eating the food (both normal and medicated) and the redness and swelling has returned with a vengeance. I have attached a photo.

pH: 6.6
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm

Tank mates: 1 flaming dwarf gourami, 3 tetras, 1 otto

I don't know why ammonia and nitrate is so high. I just changed water yesterday.

p.s. I have a 50 gallon tank almost ready to upgrade all my little fishies to. I really hope my little gourami lives to enjoy the new tank.

I have some medication ready at home. I would be really grateful for any advise on what to do next.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well the best medication is large frequent water changes. I would definitely do a 30% water change every day.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
matt6765 said:
Well the best medication is large frequent water changes. I would definitely do a 30% water change every day.
Thank you. I'll try that. Fingers crossed!

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How long has your tank been up for? Is it fully cycled?

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
matt6765 said:
How long has your tank been up for? Is it fully cycled?
It's been up for over 3 months now. I'm pretty certain it's fully cycled.

I have to admit that in my ignorance, I got the tetras before the tank had finished cycling. As soon as I realized that it hadn't cycled, I changed water every other day using prime until it was cycled. I hope my little fish isn't sick because of my stupidity :-[

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LICfish said:
It's been up for over 3 months now. I'm pretty certain it's fully cycled.

I have to admit that in my ignorance, I got the tetras before the tank had finished cycling. As soon as I realized that it hadn't cycled, I changed water every other day using prime until it was cycled. I hope my little fish isn't sick because of my stupidity :-[
No don't say that. It might of injured its eye and it got infected. After 3 months your tank should have been cycled.... I wonder why there is ammonia. Again I think you should test the water daily and if anything gets high I would change your water.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks matt6765. I really appreciate your help x

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LICfish said:
Thanks matt6765. I really appreciate your help x
Anytime

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How is he doing?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Actually what he has is called Popeye(yes like the cartoon). It seems to be quite common in the dwarf gouramis lately(at least in my area Milwaukee). I had a Flame and a Turquoise and both came from the same LFS but separate tanks and both had an issue and eventually died. Definitely quarantine and get some meds(they actually have quite a few for popeye). Hope you can remedy it before its too late.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for asking. I actually lost him today. I tried everything. I had one other fish that had pop eye and it looked nothing like this one so I thought it was an injury I was quite upset.

And now I see these weird white worms in the tank. They have thicker head areas I guess and look really gross. I also see some weird white egg sacs. I don't know what to do! I'm not even sure where I should post on the forum to get advise on this.

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LICfish said:
Thanks for asking. I actually lost him today. I tried everything. I had one other fish that had pop eye and it looked nothing like this one so I thought it was an injury I was quite upset.

And now I see these weird white worms in the tank. They have thicker head areas I guess and look really gross. I also see some weird white egg sacs. I don't know what to do! I'm not even sure where I should post on the forum to get advise on this.
Oh I am sorry for your loss the little white worms are from what I think is bad water quality. I had them once in my tank but I got rid of them by changing the water 20% every week.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks matt.

My water wasn't so good earlier this week but I've kept up with the water changes and it's been 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia and 10 nitrate for a few days now. I plan to move my dwarf puffers to this tank after another water change. I have a feeling my puffers will try and eat the worms. Do you know if it'll harm my puffers?

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I found out what the worms are. I found a thread on another forum that identifies them as "spaz worms". It says dwarf puffers will eat them and they're harmless. I hope that's true.

If anyone could provide more info on these worms, I would be eternally grateful

The worms are hairlike. They're mostly transparent it seems except for what I assume is the head region. They don't stick to the walls but swim freely. By swim i mean kind of wiggly. And they're really creepy!

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you stir up water do they come out? about how long are they?

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure how long because they keep moving. I would say definitely not more than 1 centimeter.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh and I just did a very thorough gravel vacuum and managed to get quite A LOT of them.

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmm.... well do you see any on the fish? If not it they might not be bad and I would just vaccume or stir up the gravel. You might want to aks for other advice though because I do not know what they are.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks again Matt. I'll ask for more advise and see what else I can find.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads