Sick Gourami [emoji22]

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Gabriel-CR, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Gabriel-CR

Gabriel-CRValued MemberMember

Hello, last Friday 1st of February I bought a dwarf gourami in my local aquarium, I put it in my 15 gallon tank alone and with a sponge filter (cycled) and a heater at a temperature of 77 degrees, the fish since I bought it I did not eat so I worried so I spoke to @Gourami36 and we thought about giving him food with garlic pure and it did not work, we thought that it could be a parasite so we put it in a 5 gallon hospital aquarium and put half a pill of parasiteguard de tetra, the next day the fish ate very well with food and garlic puree, the next day I gave it back to eat and I did not eat anything else that I became worried again I finished the 4 days treatment of parasiteguard and @Gourami36 I recommend giving him a stronger antiparasitic, so yesterday I put him in my 10-gallon hospital and put 250 mg of metronidazole and today he did not want to eat anything, what do you think? I would believe that it is a bacterium but what do you say? thank you

@ Gourami36

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Gourami36

Gourami36Well Known MemberMember

3. Greg F

Greg FWell Known MemberMember

Picture ?

4. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

This is the fish! 20190206_170208.jpg

5. CichlidTai

CichlidTaiValued MemberMember

6. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

Im doing 25% water change daily! How can i make him eat?

Im giving him hikari micro waffers!

7. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Try bloodworms or mysis shrimp. You can get frozen from fish store.

Look up DGIV. I hope your guy doesn’t have that. It is the reason I stopped trying to stock them.

8. Gourami36

I’m pretty sure it’s an internal parasite so there is nothing visibly wrong.

9. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Does it have stringy white poop?

10. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

I just see him poop like 2 times and the poop was white!

11. Gourami36

12. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

Y was searching and find something called tapeworms! This can be?

13. Whitewolf

It's probably a roundworm and the treatment is levimasole capaliria and camallanus are common and you have to treat with a roundworms specific med or it won't work. And you have to treat 3 times

14. OP
    OP
    Gabriel-CR

I think i can get levimasole in my local vet drug store! How much mg/gallon? How many days?

15. Whitewolf

It's 1/4 teaspoon per 100 gallons. Do a water change first. Dose at night. Turn ogf lights. Agter 24 hours change about half to three quarters of the water and vacuum the substrate They may have stringy poo andvapoatite loss for a few more days, but after awhile they should eat and have normal poop again.

16. CichlidTai

When my gourami was sick,I put him in a salt bath in a 1Gallon bowl for 2 minutes,Then a tad less melafix then suggested and I healed him. He had white fuzz all on him and it was from fin nipping via rosey reds,The water changes won’t make him eat but it’ll eventually rid of the disease especially if you aren’t seeing anything external

17. tfreema

Add aeration or leave the water level lower so filter output churns up more if you use levamisole. They will need the extra oxygen.

Personally, for stringy white pooh, I have always used metro and kanaplex. It is either a parasite or internal bacterial infection.

18. Hondacivic

HondacivicWell Known MemberMember

white poop is usually just from stress, or having an empty stomach. The sunken stomach definitely means he has an internal parasite though. Try out API general cure first, it should help out with most internal parasites. Start feeding 2-3 times a day, to make sure he’s getting food in him.

19. tfreema

Yeah, GC has metro and praziquantel. Great coverage.

20. CichlidTai

Not true. Poop is brown because of the nutrients it holds. When it’s white it’s because internal parasites are using those nutrients before it leaves the body.