Sick Goldfish:/

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Franky310, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Franky310

Franky310 New Member Member

I think my fish has ich, :/ what should i do?

Attached Files:

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

That does look like Ich. A few questions, if you don't mind (sorry):
    Do you have a petstore near you? (Eg PetSmart, Petco, etc)
    How long have you had your fish?
    Do you know your ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate?
    @finnipper59 do you know a good medication?

3. OP
    OP
    Franky310

:/ , im still cycling my tank, i have 0 ammonia and 5.0 ppm nitrite and 5.0 ppm nitrate, i do partial w/c daily and i use prime everytime, ive had a week with this fish, i also have a small ryuking, and yeah i have a few pet stores near

4. Rtessy

Oh you're close to finishing the cycle, great! Should only be a week more, max.
    I have two things for you to do:
    The first one, could you do a 50-60% water change today and tomorrow? Prime only protects levels of ammonia+ nitrite up to 2ppm, so there are 3ppm of nitrite that can be harming the fish. Do water changes to keep the nitrite at or below 2ppm. This will help your fish's immune system.
    The second thing is to go to your local petstore and pick up any Ich medication. Ich is very common, so there are many medications for it. However, medications deplete the water of oxygen, so if you have a spare bubbler you can put that in, or if you have an HOB you can lower your water level a few inches to get more splashing which will help with gas exchange. You can also add aquarium salt at a rate of 1 tbsp, or 15ml, per gallon which will help slime coat production and help reduce nitrite poisoning. Please use aquarium salt, not any table salt.
    Out of curiosity, what size tank?
    Gorgeous little fish, btw

5. OP
    OP
    Franky310

Okay, thank u! I will do that right now, i have a 20 gallon, i know its too small, but ill b upgrading soon to a bigger tank. Soo then i should b putting 20 tbsp

6. Rtessy

Oh no! Dang I gave the wrong dosage I'm so sorry. 1 tbsp per 5 gallons!
    I'm so sorry, if you did the dose I said before please do an immediate 70% change
    I am so so sorry, that dosage is for a 5 minute bath in extreme cases, we're not there yet!
    Edit: I realize I didn't give instructions on how to add the salt: dissolve 4 tbsp in a separate container of dechlorinated water, make sure it is fully dissolved, and slowly, over a period of several minutes, pour the salt solution into the tank

7. OP
    OP
    Franky310

No worries, i havent done that yet, i went out to buy some seachem paraguard, hope this helps, i jst did the 60 % w/c and now i will b adding the salt, it won’t be to much if i do the salt and the medicine at the same time?

8. Rtessy

Ok great! I'm not familiar with that one, but fingers crossed for you! And yes, you can add the salt and medication at the same time (1 tbsp per 5 gallons, lol).

9. OP
    OP
    Franky310

I hope it does, i went with this one cuz i read it doesn’t mess with the beneficial bacteria, soo fongers crossed! Lol yeah got it, im jst waiting for it to dissolve

10. Rtessy

How are they doing today?

11. OP
    OP
    Franky310

I thk i see less white dots, i actually went with this small bottle of quick ich-x, im also have the temp at 82. I do have another concern tho, my nitrites wont go down, ive been stuff with high nitrites for about maybe 1 week and half, and zero amonia, and 10 pm of nitrate

12. Rtessy

That's good to hear. For the nitrites, most bottled bacteria help process them quickly, so you could try Seachem stability if you would like to. It contains the bacteria that process ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate, so then the colony just has to grow to the bioload in the tank.
    Does the medication allow a water change?

13. OP
    OP
    Franky310

I have been using it, but i jst stopped cuz i dnt know if it will mess with the medication, and yeah, the medication requires 1/3 of w/c every 24 hours

14. Rtessy

If nothing else, the 1/3 water change every day should slowly bring it down. And you've still been dosing Prime?
    Also, did you end up adding the salt? If so, you've done about everything you can, as the salt also helps reduce nitrite poisoning.
    Oh and did you have a spare bubbler to add?
    Sorry for all the questions again. And good luck!

15. OP
    OP
    Franky310

It brings them down, but then back up again the next day -.-, and yess i didnt stop using prime, and yeahh i did end up using the salt, and today i see no white spots! Yay! Lol should i keep doing the medicine for like 3 more days? Jst to b sure

16. Rtessy

That's awesome! Yes, keep using the mediation for the full dose because little ich cycts could be elsewhere in the tank, and you don't want medication resistant Ich... what a nightmare that would be!
    You can start phasing out the salt a day or so after the medication ends

17. OP
    OP
    Franky310

Okay! Thank you so much!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice