Sick goldfish

1. a

agraub Initiate Member

Hello all. I've had a rough couple of days. My goldfish Crackers got himself stuck in my water change tube and it sucked his right eyeball clean out :(. He was with 3 other goldfish in my 55 gallon tank and when it happened, he started thrashing about while bleeding. I was horrified and immediately began setting up my 20 gallon hospital tank. I put good water from my 55 into my 20 with readings of 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 15 nitrate. On my 55 I have a large canister filter with coarse sponge, filter floss and bio media. I also have a HOB that only has coarse sponge. I put the HOB on the hospital tank and gave it a dose of Melafix and a little aquarium salt to help him heal. This was yesterday around noon. I went to work this morning and he seemed to be doing okay. I got home to check his water and it read 0 ammonia, 5 nitrite and 20 nitrate. This made me think that the coarse sponge didn't have enough bacteria in it. I did a 50% water change to get rid of the nitrite and dosed again with Melafix and Prime and ran to the store to get more bio media washed it and dumped that in the HOB to hopefully grow some more good bacteria. Now the poor guy is just sitting at the bottom of the hospital tank doing nothing... Am I doing everything I can? Am i doing anything i shouldn't be? Will my little guy be okay?

He still hasn't moved since the water change.Anyone have any advice?

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I think pristine water would go a long way towards helping him heal. I think if it were me, I would just put him back in the main tank (which is fully cycled).and just not use Melafix or salt.

3. OP
    OP
    a

agraub Initiate Member

I still have the three other fish in the big tank. Is isolation not helpful for his wound?

4. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I think being in a cycled tank will be more beneficial than being isolated.

5. OP
    OP
    a

agraub Initiate Member

Okay. Ill check him when i get home and go from there. Thank you for your help!

Update. Hes back in the big tank and swimming pretty good. Ill give another update in a day or two. Thank you jdhef!

6. OP
    OP
    a

agraub Initiate Member

Crackers got put in the large tank that night and I think he is now recovered from his injury. I think keeping him in that good water was the best thing for him, and none of the other fish picked at him while he was healing. He still gets food just fine and seems to be back to his old self again!

7. peregrine

peregrine Member Member

poor little fishy. Glad to hear he's well on the road to recovery..