Sick goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by bellachan, Jul 12, 2015.

1. b

bellachan Well Known Member Member

Hey guys! Sorry to bombard you with goldfish stuff! I need some help. I noticed it the very next morning I got my Orandas. Their wen (brains) started to get white specks on them. Looks like fluffy pimples. At first I thought it was ich? But wouldn't you see that on the fins? One of the orandas even has a strand like thing hanging from it's wen. Please help! All i've done so far before medicating a small water change and added salt.

image.jpg

So hard to get a quick clear pic! Hope you can see what mean on the top of it's head

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear that your goldfish aren't doing well.

While I can't identify what the problem is (I'm not very good with fish disease) I think it would help if you can update us with your full water parameters so we can know what's up with the water.

pH
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    Temperature
    Hardness if available.

3. OP
    OP
    b

I've read up on some things. Could be wen growth or fungal infection.

Oh sorry keep forgetting to add the parameters lol.

Ph is 7.2
    Ammonia bounced up a little since I got them (from no fish to the tank, to 4 large orandas. I've been doing daily small water changes). So yesterday it was at 0.25 and today is like between 0-0.25ppm
    Nitrite reads 0ppm
    Nitrate looks in between 0-5ppm

In regards to their behaviour, they are active, they eat and they don't seem to be irritated by the stuff on their wen.

Oh there are 4, in a 75gallon tank. The temp was raised to 78 (very slowly) because my first concern was ich, (I have read that goldfish can actually tollerate high temps but like to hybernate). But now that I don't think it's ich, and if you guys agree I will slowly bring down the temp.

KH 40
    GH between 10-30 (only have the test strips for KH and GH)

4. LiterallyHydro

I don't think 78 is going to treat Ich anyway, to treat Ich I've had to raise the temperature to 86, which I'm sure is too much for a goldfish.

It's also good you're taking measures to reduce the ammonia. I'm led to believe that the ammonia potentially stressed the fish making them more vulnerable to infection.

5. tanksalot

tanksalot New Member Member

Hi! I am so sad to hear your Oranda is not doing well. :( So, with my experience in the past few years, only one thing has helped my fish get rid of fungal infections or ich like diseases. It is Pimafix by API. You can get it from any pet store. I strongly, strongly, strongly suggest it! Good luck with your fish!

6. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks guys :) i'm trying my best. It is only day 3 with them. So I don't want to take drastic measures that will make them stress more then they already could be.

And now that i've read that it could just be their "brains" growing. I'm giong to keep a close eye on them.

I'm going to continue to do small water changes daily and possibly get some meds to have handy incase.

I'm trying to upload a video to show you how adorable they are lol but i'm having a hard time.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  7. tanksalot

Those goldfish are so, so, so cute! Keep us posted!

8. LiterallyHydro

They really are pretty. I would like to have a goldfish tank someday. I already have too many plans lined up before that though unfortunately.

9. tanksalot

How old are these beautiful goldfish?

10. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks guys! I had this empty 75 just stored away. After I moved I wanted a simple but permanent tank and voila! Goldies! Lol

Honestly I did not expect them to be that big when I ordered them. They must be a couple years? Definitly a year or older. I'll ask the seller lol i'm curious now. They are at least between 6-8inches from head to tail.

I'll keep you guys updated on their health :)

11. Aquasculpt

Aquasculpt Valued Member Member

Where did you order your goldies from?

12. OP
    OP
    b

The Fish Sempai :)

Thos orandas are doing well! My mother loved them so much she took them haha and ordered me some lionhead orandas. I love them all! Not even a month after I got my new orandas they bred. I now have fry about a week old now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice