Help Sick Goldfish... Please help.

Nick1958

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everyone, I have a 12 year old goldfish that has developed white spots on his fins and tail. This has been a problem since Christmas. The white spots is getting worse and he is now lethargic and sitting at the top gasping for air. Currently he is around 12/13 inches long and is in a 30 gallon tank with two air pumps plus a filter running 24/7. I do weekly water changes and I'm currently using prime water conditioner followed along with adding aquarium salt and Vitachem. I'm also putting algone water clarifier and nitrate remover pouches to the filter weekly. I'm also feeding him Repashy gel food as well. So far nothing has worked and his health has continued to decline. I'm in desperate help to find answers with what's wrong with him. If anyone might know what this is please contact me.

Attachments

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is ich. You also need to give him a larger tank. Ich is very bad, you need to raise the temperature and then add ich medication when the number of white spots seem to go down by a bit. gl

OP
N

Nick1958

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishBoy101 said:
That is ich. You also need to give him a larger tank. Ich is very bad, you need to raise the temperature and then add ich medication when the number of white spots seem to go down by a bit. gl
Okay, thank you very much! I have been in contact with a local fish store for many months and they said it was lymphocystis. I only believed them at the very end because I have previously tried many medications for him (besides ich medication) and nothing has helped. Do you possibly have any recommendations for medication and also water temperature?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FishBoy101 said:
I'm curious as to why you think ich if it's only on the fins and not all over the body?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My first thought when I saw the picture was also lymphocytosis, or lymph node cancer. I have no idea if this affects fish but it is a common ailment in typical cat/dog pets and I have seen it in the exotic field as well. Since this diagnosis is not treatable, there's certainly no harm in trying ich meds and other meds just in case! I hope it really is just an ich outbreak!

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
UnknownUser said:
My first thought when I saw the picture was also lymphocytosis, or lymph node cancer. I have no idea if this affects fish but it is a common ailment in typical cat/dog pets and I have seen it in the exotic field as well. Since this diagnosis is not treatable, there's certainly no harm in trying ich meds and other meds just in case! I hope it really is just an ich outbreak!
I agree. If it is a cancer, *shudders* welp

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom