Sick Golden Cae?!?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Hmmp84, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Found it like this this morning ,help plz?!?!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Can’t tell but are those his eyes if so it might be pop eye if so quartine him check the water quality if bad change. Might be to physical injury

3. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Yes,only one is weird all cloudy and puffed out worse ,other then that he seems fine ,maybe a lil lethargic but his other eye and my other gcae eyes look fine. ..They always looked kinda puffed out so I'm guessing a lil puffy is normal, but this one is cloudy and puffed out more so I dunno .. I put some herbal medicine in and seems slightly less cloudy today and he's more active again. .

4. Iverg1

Is he the only fish you have

5. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

This was just a lil while ago ..

No Im new to this only had my fish since March so I'm gonna need to separate some cuz I have too many of the same kinds I think .. But right now they are all getting along so hopefully will be fine fer a couple more weeks till can get another tank .. Have 55 gallons tank right now with 2 golden cae, 2 regular cae, 6 Cory cats ,a glofish shark, 2 common plecos ,6 tetra glofish and 3 goldfish. ..Lol.. .So have to do some sorting ..Most everyone are babies right now so hope have a couple weeks before have to worry?! ! ??

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  6. Wobbegong

Wobbegong Well Known Member Member

That tank is way over stocked, goldfish need cooler water temperatures that most other aquarium fish, they also get big. Common plecos will also get huge and aggressive, same with chinese algae eaters. Once they get big they won't eat as much algae and get territorial.

7. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

So what should I do?? Can I get a second 55 gallon or something and switch some to that? ? The people at the pet store said since some little and stay on the bottom and others are mid level swimmers it should be fine. ..*sigh*

8. Iverg1

Maybe move all the goldfish as they all need cooler water temp

9. Wobbegong

Wobbegong Well Known Member Member

Try to see if you can find a new home for the plecos and goldfish, the algae eaters don't get as big so they should be ok.

Or you could get a smaller tank for the corys and glofish to a 20-30 gallon tank.

10. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking .. Right now everyone is OK I keep the temp at about 74 cause bother glofish and goldfish r OK at that temp ,that's y some people do have both of those together according to one thing I read... But really love them all and if I have to will get separate tanks just need real advice on who to put where cuz apparently pet store workers don't know much. ..

Both not bother.. .Lol

BTW how can u claim mine is way overstocked when all except one are babies or stay little ,in a 55 gallon tank when u have like 20 fish in just a 30 gallon ????

11. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Usually you consider full grown size when stocking. The common plecos can get 18" long so they have no place being in a 55 gallon since its only 12" wide and they are poop machines. If they are common goldfish they too get way too big for a 55 and also are poop machines. So yes with just those 4 you will be overstocked when they grow up. Another 55 will not solve your issue long term, short term yes but not permanently.

12. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Well that's dumb. .. Pet stores should not say a 55 gallon is the right size on the sign for them ...Lol.. .Oh well I'll just have to get bigger tanks then, sorry if I seemed rude.. Lol . Didn't mean too ..Thnx !!

Would 100 gallons be enough fer y plecos ??

13. david1978

I know i see it so much too. For future reference seriouslyfish and planetcatfish are great reference sites. They seem the most up to date.

14. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Thnx ,I'll have to check those ....Sorry to be a pain ,I'm a newbie and really love my fish. . Lol .. .My husband works a lot and we don't have kids so I don't have much to do and this is all so new and confusing but so far had most of them since mid March and no ones died yet ...I mean yeah it's not long but I know someone else that's already had like 4-5 plecos die on her in the same amount of time ,plus she lost an algea eater too....very sad :-( but thnx !!

And I had meant that reply about tank size to someone else I'm new to the whole forum discussion thing too but thnx fer answering. ..Lol

15. david1978

I have learned one thing though. Petco employees dont like it when you laugh at them. Lol

16. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Yeah I imagine they don't like the customer knowing more then they do....it was pet smart I've had the most experience with ,they seem kinda numb too ,here in Maine at least . .. Lol

17. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

A whole bunch of my fish died overnight they we're fine yesterday what would do this ?????

18. OP
    OP
    Hmmp84

Hmmp84 New Member Member

Could the wrong dose of this do it ??

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice