Sick Gold fish

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tiny is a small fantail about 2" inches long, nose to tail fin. He was a really tiny guy when we bought him over a year ago. He's always been healthy, active and a voracious eater. About 2 weeks ago I noticed he was always at the bottom of the tank, sitting on the substrate. His respiration looked normal and the only thing that moved were his eyes. He was motionless, but his eyes were always looking around. (i didn't know they could move there eyes) When sitting on the bottom, his fins are out like normal and he's completely balanced, not leaning to one side or the other. When he does swim he looks graceful and normal, no sign of air bladder issues, he's still a voracious eater, his fins are perfect, scales & color look normal. I hadn't worried to much about him since he was eating fine and when ever I would go near the tank, he would join the other GF in begging for food. I feed flakes in the morning and they get peas once in a while. (Beatrice has air bladder issues)
Tonight everything looked normal and then suddenly Tiny rolled on his side for a few seconds and then went belly up, but still laying on the substrate. I thought he was dead, but he was breathing hard and he did manage to get himself upright again after a few moments, but moved like he was druck or dazed. My wife fed them some peas and he couldn't get them. About 10 minutes later, Tiny was swimming again and going after pea leftovers, but swimming slightly head down and still breathing hard. The other fish are breathing normal. I tested the water to see if something was spiking; ammonia was 0, nitrate & nitrite also 0 I'm a little suspect of the nitrate number and will get an API master kit tomorrow. I was still using API test strips for nitrate/nitrite, but I have the liquid test kit for ammonia.

Looking at Tiny now, he is swimming, but not nearly as active as usual and he still looks disoriented. Looks like he is trying to wriggle his body to swim, but having trouble. He's mainly moving around using his pectoral fins, but not is the usual graceful manor.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately my quarrentine tank is down for maintence and completely disssembled and dry.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You have live plants? Because unless you do, that 0 nitrates is not a good thing... It'll be good when you get the liquid tests.

Aren't you supposed to feed the fancies food that sinks so that they don't swallow air?

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No live plants. Bunch of driftwood for the pleco, but thats it.

The 0 nitrate concerns me as well. This tank has been up about 3 months, and was seeded with filters from a cycled tank. I do weekly gravel vacs and 40-50% water changes at the same time.

All the other fish seem fine at this time.

Last night, right before I went to bed, I checked on Tiny and noticed very thin strings of something on him. It seriously looked like he had swum through a spider web and then rolled in pepper. The strands of whatever are hardly visible, but about 1" long with dark spots like pepper flecks towards the end.
He was still alive and swimming this morning... couldn't tell in the dim light if he still had those strands attached to him.

API master test kit is way cool.

Amonia is still 0. but I all ready had a liquid test kit for that.
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is either 10 or 20. The colors look to similar for me to tell the difference. My wife said 20

Tiny is still alive and maybe slighty better. Now the Professor (black moor) is sitting on the bottom and showing signs of fin rot again IF, what I'm looking at is really fin rot. It only effects his dorsal fin;the webbing between the spines is torn away in tiny bits. Maybe 1-2 mm from the end of the fin. The spines do not appear to be getting shorter and the webbing grows back.

Tried to take a picture, but every AA battery in the house is dead and the rechargables are not taking a charge.
Hello, I've merged your back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

sharkgirl52

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I actually had something similar happen to my black moor, who was only 2 years old. He had what I thought was fin rot at first, so after separating him from my catfish and treating him with melafix and using aquarium salt, I realized that he had some spots that looked like hemorrhaging around the base of his tail. He was laying on the bottom too. I looked it up again thinking that his fin rot was because of ammonia poisoning or a bacterial disease. I removed my carbon filter, did a 25% water change and began a treatment cycle of triple sulfa. At the last dose stage my moor couldn't handle anymore and passed on. I'm not exactly sure what he had, or what was wrong. But his behavior was similar to what you were explaining before.

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sharkgirl52, I am on that same path. When moving all the fish from the 20 gallon to 75 gallon I left my moor in the 20 gallon and treated with marycin for what I thought was fin rot. He seemed better after 6 days, so I moved hime to the big tank. He's been fine until now. That was 2 months ago.

If I don't see any improvement soon, I'll move him to the q-tank. Wife is not happy about that tank coming back in the house.

sharkgirl52

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ristin, That is what happened with my Moor too. I treated him for the full cycle which was 4 and he seemed better too, even was his normal black color and swimming more, but then when I transferred to the bigger tank with my catfish he seemed to get worse. I still am unsure why he died. I am not really sure what to say, but that the quarantine seemed to work and I wish I would have kept him in their longer until he was a 100% before moving him. Maybe if I had, he would still be alive.

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update

I guess I've hijacked my own thread by bringing up the Professor (black moor) and his dorsal fin issue. The Professor seems to be doing better, his dorsal fin webbing is growing back.

Tiny is still sitting on the bottom of the tank, but when I come over to look at him, he zips up and joins the other GF in begging for food. After 5-10 minutes of normal looking swimming around, he returns to his corner on the tank bottom. Two days ago he developed two bumps on his body; one on each side. This is reminiscent of Bob (deceased black moor) who would get similar bumps. On Bob the bump would appear one day, on day two would grow into a large irritated looking bump with a white dot in the middle. Day three the bump would burst, leaving a 1mm hole in his side. Day 4 the hole would heal over and by day 5 no evidence of any injury would exist. These bumps came and went for about 6 months and he never seemed sick. Right before Christmas he started showing signs of illness, by floating at the top of he tank and having difficulty remaining upright. He passed away Christmas day. Tiny's bumps are not following this pattern so far. They appeared a couple days ago, but have not grown in size, nor turned any colors nor have they burst so far.
My wife is not pleased about the 20 gallon tank coming back in the house, and I don't have any clue what to treat Tiny with (if anything) but maybe some time in the Q-tank will help him recover. I know for me, quiet time away from the kids does wonders for any ailments I have.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm.....

Does he still have those stringy things you mentioned earlier?
And as to the "bumps" does he have those currently? The bumps sound like abscesses to me.

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
forgot about the stringy things

Red1313

The stringy things were not on him the next day. I did notice the rocks I got from the LSF and the plastic plant I transferred from the 20 gallon tank have those tiny white strings on them. They are about .5 to 1" in length, about the thickness of a spider web silk. They are not heavily concentrated, but noticeable. They are not on the driftwood, filter tubes or fake rocks. Only the real rock and the plastic plant.
As of last night, Tiny still has the abscesses but they have not changed in size or color.
He still eats like a pirahna, and his color is normal.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm...

I was going to say that the stringy things sounded sort of like parasites but if they're on that plants and rock now then I doubt that's what they are.
Keep an eye on the abcesses for now I suppose but if they appear like they're going to start the whole swell then pop cycle you might want to look into moving him into a QT tank and starting a treatment of antibiotics for internal infections.
What's his activity like?

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Red1313

Mostly sits on the substrate motionless except for his eyes. He's always moving his eyes, looking around. His fins are not clamped; he keeps his dorsal fin at 1/2 to 3/4 extension and his pectoral fins are deployed out. Sitting on the bottom, he looks exactly as he would look if he were swimming. He has always had a voracious appetite and still does. When ever anyone approaches the tank, he swims around with the other GFs.

What med would you recommend for a possible infection?

Tiny has several big bumps now and two look like they are about ready to burst. I have the q-tank setup but it's not cycled. Thinking about pulling some bio rings from the Fluval and putting in the filter compartment of the Tetra 10-20 for the q-tank. Or should I even bother, as most medicines will kill the beneficial bacteria anyway.

I still have no idea what to treat Tiny for or with. I'm concerned the stress of moving him may do more harm than good. Really don't know what to do at this point.

Tiny is in the q-tank now. While netting him from the temporary container to the q-tank, the two bumps on his left side burst. Now they are red marks, like he was bitten by a vampire. That's all I need...a vampire gold fish

He's all ready looking better. He's swimming more and he's rooting around the tank looking for food. I'm not going to treat him with any meds for few days and see if him improves on his own.

I took a handful of bio rings from the main tank filter and put them in the HOB. I'll keep a super close eye on the parameters.
I've merged back to back posts.
Ken

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm... If you decide on meds since we're not sure what you're dealing with (though is sounds sort of like a bacterial infection if it's moved from a previous fish to Tiny now) meds that treat both gram positive and gram negative bacteria would be the way to go. Unfortunately that will take out your cycle bacteria.
I believe Maracyn and Maracyn 2 is a gram positive and gram positive combo that you can use together.

Best of luck for you're little guy.

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tested the q-tank last night with the API master test kit.
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 10-20 (I can't tell the difference between the two colors)

Tiny is back to sitting in the bottom. He eats when fed, but hides when I come near the tank. He's more active when the light is off. Last night I noticed he bumps into things when swimming, but he's able to zero in and catch the floating flakes of food.

Guess I'll start with meds tonight, but no idea what I'm treating for.

Paging Dr. House, Paging Dr. House....

Started Tiny on Maracyn Thursday night. Realized I only had one dose, but no biggie, even though Petsmart is a 96 mile round trip from home, so is work and I have to go there. The biggest trouble with going to Petsmart is I never make it out with just the one item. Since I have no idea what is wrong with Tiny, I decided to treat with both Maracyn & Maracyn II since the best guess was a bacterial infection. While there I remembered needed more water conditioner and a scrub brush and...and... $48 later I was done. $28 dollars in fish meds to save a $3.99 fish; I must be insane. Got home,opened the Maracyn box and it was FREAKING EMPTY!!! Called Petsmart and they said they have been having problems with theft and to bring the empty box and receipt. Haven't done that yet since it is 96 miles there and back.
Dosed Tiny with Maracyn II and 36 hours later, he is looking MUCH better and is swimming around constantly like a healthly gold fish should.
Merged back to back posts.
Ken

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Glad to hear he's showing an improvement with the meds

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Red

I see light at the end of the tunnel, just hoping it's not an on coming train.

After a full regimen of Maracyn II, Tiny's activity levels are back to normal. He still has the large abcess on his right side near his analfin. Another abcess appeared on his left side, but went down without bursting like the first two. The abcess on the right looks like it's going to burst soon. I tried getting a picture, but Tiny won't let me see that side of him. He's worse than my 3 year old when it comes to ouchies. I no longer think death is imminent, but he's still not right. Water parameters are stable. I was worried the Maracyn II would wipe out the cycle, but so far so good.

Tiny appears to be cured and back to normal. I have moved him back to the main tank to free up the Q-tank since the black moor (The Professor) now has issues. He lost about 40% of his dorsal fin and 20% of his tail fin ,literally overnight. He looks terrible. I scooped him & Beatrice out of the main tank and into quarantine. One of them is Typhoid Mary reincarnate, but I will prevail.
I've merged back to back posts.
Ken

ristin

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Final update on Tiny

Since his return to the big tank 3 weeks ago, Tiny seemed to be OK. He was fine this morning and ate with his usual pirahna like manner. We went to town for the day and when we returned, I found Tiny upside down on the bottom of the tank, breathing very hard. None of the other fish were showing signs of distress and water parameters were normal.

Tiny died about 5 hours later.
RIP little guy.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Ristin,

So sorry to hear that you lost Tiny. RIP.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads