Help Sick German Blue Ram

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi there

So I noticed my female GBR had labored breathing the past few days, and has started hiding more often and less interested in food. She still has some of her colors. She has white poo (which I saw somewhere was a sign of some disease). There is also this white mark near her gills (see picture) that I had never noticed before (I have had her for at least a few months now). There is definitely something wrong with her, so I just put her in a hospital tank. What do you think she has, and how should I treat it? I bought some pimafix but not sure if I should try something else instead (like raising the temp and using aquarium salt)

Main tank (20gal): kept up on water changes. Been running for almost a year. Ammonia&nitrites at 0. Nitrates 5ppm

Hospital tank is new (5 gal)Using stability and prime, and seeded the filter with some bio balls from main filter.

My main tank has a male ram (who doesn’t cause much trouble), furcatas, endlers, and some inverts

Thanks for the help!

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
78 in hospital tank. 80 in main tank.

An adjustable heater is coming in the mail today so that I can raise the hospital tank temp (to either 80, or to something higher as part of a treatment)

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
80 is minimum for rams .I agree raising the temp may help.
Spot looks like a scale missing or banged up.
You got a male and female in a 20 and they don't mix it up ?

RyanLee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say try to keep your water very clean in your hospital tank and maybe add a little salt to help with stress. Keep the water movement low so she can rest.

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So is everyone thinking that she just beat up a bit and needs some rest in the hospital tank (and to raise the temperature a bit)? I thought the white poo was a sign of disease.

If pimafix isn't necessary, I could just get some aquarium salt and raise the temp to 84 or something like that... If I do this, how does this treatment work? How many days? Water changes? How much salt?

Thanks!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
White poo is a sign of disease, but the low temp sticks out the most and will probably help a lot to raise it

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Metronidazole or levamisole HCI are wormers .
Stay away from salt for the ram .It will not help a soft water fish like it could a hard water fish .
I don't use salt or ever recommend it . Use a real med to solve a problem or eliminate it or just let the fish heal / rest up .

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Metronidazole or levamisole HCI are wormers .
Stay away from salt for the ram .It will not help a soft water fish like it could a hard water fish .
I don't use salt or ever recommend it . Use a real med to solve a problem or eliminate it or just let the fish heal / rest up .
Is the Metronidazole and Levamisole the Seachem MetroPlex? (I clicked the link and that's where it sent me).

Here's my plan, based on feedback:
-Raise tank to 82-4 F
-Keep the water flow slow-moderate (so the fish doesn't have to work as hard with swimming)
-Feed normal diet (flake food, golden pearls, frozen daphnia) 5ish times a week.

If she doesn't improve on her own after a week or two (i.e., better appetite, no white poo, no white spot near mouth/gills), then try MetroPlex.

Sound good?

Thanks!

EMcT1985

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Both tanks should be at 84 at least. Get it up there when you get the heater and that should help a lot
I have raised the hospital tank temp. up to about 82F (and might bump it up to 84 tomorrow). Should I raise the main/display tank temp to 82 as well? I think that's about as high as I could go, as Furcatas should ideally be around upper 70s, and I read somewhere that they could go up to about 82F. Pushing beyond that might make it hard on other fish in the main/display tank. What do you think?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If 82 is the highest you can go in the main tank then stick to that. Maybe over the course of tomorrow raise the hospital tank to 84. Just remember you'll have to re acclimate the ram to 82

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom