Sick Fry Help 

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i've got some sad news. two of our 6 fry arent doing so well. they are just laying on their sides barley moving. i tested the water and its
ammonia: .25
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5

I know the ammonia is bad no matter how little but I'm doing water changes everyday and using prime so i don't know what else to do about that. I don't want to lose them but i don't really know what to do. i just changed the water last night but i went ahead and put some prime in for tonight so hopefully help with the ammonia. the other four fry still look good. swimming around and eating. the two that are sick or dying one looked kinda deformed and the other one looked like it was born before it was ready. its been over a month so i thought they'd be okay but i guess i was wrong.
any suggestions?

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would do 20% water changes daily with prime to detoxify ammonia. As for the deformed ones, it happens sometimes when they are born.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What size tank are you keeping the fry in and how old are they???

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
they were born on march 20th. and they are currently in a 1 and half gallon tank. there are only 6 of them

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Sorry to hear that your fry aren't doing too well. I agree with the above, daily water changes are in order. Keep adding the Prime with every water change also. Too, you may want to consider increasing the size of your fry tank. The smaller tanks are a bit more difficult to keep the readings in check. Fry have to have pristine water conditions.

Best wishes. Keep us posted.
Ken

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/tips-for-fry.31077/
https://www.fishlore.com/BreedingGuppies.htm

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
one passed away last night and another one is laying on its back at the bottom of the tank barely breathing.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fry are very very touchy, it's not uncommon to lose a noticeable percentage of them because of that, whether it be from unsuitable or unstable tank conditions, deformities, or even accidents while cleaning and whatnot. Just know that you're doing your best and hang in there!

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
another passed away. the one that was laying on its back earlier is still alive but i don't except it to make through the night.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
we are down to 3 fry. we transfered them into an uncycled 10 gallon tank. i think the 1.5 gallon was was just to small and killing them off now that they were getting bigger even though they havent grown that much since they were born. Hopefully now they are in a much bigger tank the 3 that are still alive will be okay. i just hope the tank cycling doesn't end up killing them.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
how often do you change the water in that 1.5? i have a 1.5 also and i have a very hard time keeping anything alive in it IMO they may be better off in a breeding box or net in your main tank

*edit* woops didnt see your last post. Good call on moving them, even though the 10 gallon is uncycled you should be able to stay on top of the water parameters alot easier now, I've successfully raised fry in uncycled tanks 5 gallon-10 gallon a few times, so it can be done

With 3 in there if they are alone you can probably go a few days between water changes but I've kept 40-50 fry in a 10 gallon with no problem, do daily (or every other day) water changes of 50% and keep using prime as your water conditioner. Having some live plants, like moss or something else for them to pick at and also hide in is a great addition, although i suggest keeping a bare tank bottom so you can keep it clean easier.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yeah they are the only 3 in there for now until more are born anyway. the bottom is bare. i was afraid of them burying themselves in gravel and dying. now that i know about cycling i'll be more on top things this time then i was with my 20 gallon. o and to answer your question about the 1.5 gal. i was doing water changes every other day. the water seemed fine except for the ammonia which i can't seem to get rid of in either tank. stays at 0.25. hopefully i'll have better luck with the 10 gal.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads