Sick fry - please help

Buzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We were wondering what illness causes fish (in this case hilleries) to become misshapen (almost curved like a helix or arch).  We noticed it in one of our fry yesterday and maybe more of them today.

Is this a disease and is it contagious?  and how can we treat it?

Thanks ,
Buzz & Rich

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think I've read somewhere on this forum that TB (fish tuberculosis) causes the body of the fish to be curved - BUT I am not 100% sure. So maybe wait for someone to confirm this. IF it is fish TB, you shouldn't be putting your hands in the tank water if you have any cuts - it is contagious. If I were 100% sure any of my fish has TB, I wouldn't put my hands in the water even if I didn't have any cuts. It's better to wear latex gloves when dealing with sick fish.

P.S. I hope you don't mind me transferring your topic to "Freshwater Diseases" board.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe it isn't a disease. Maybe it was born that like that...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella is correct fish TB can cause this BUT... vitamin defiency can cause it also. I'm not sure what a hillerie is but vitamin C deficiency in guppys can cause this curvature of the spine. Some fish need a few more veggies in their diet and guppys are one of those so mine get veggie flakes once a day. Since I started doing that I haven't had anymore fry with curved spines. But it won't cure it once curved but may prevent in the future.
Carol

Buzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info everyone... Sorry to be late in replying... Computer trouble :)

Buzz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom