Sick Flame Dwarf Gourami - Does Rainbow Fabulous need to be euthanized

1. Syna Initiate Member

Hi,

I have a very sick flame dwarf gourami named Rainbow Fabulous, and I am worried that he has Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus and needs to be euthanized. The thing is, he doesn't have the normal symptoms. He has no sores and no swelling of the spleen that I can identify, but he does lay on the bottom of the tank with rapid gill movement. I have had him in the same tank for twenty months and he has always been happy and healthy until two days ago when he swam upside down a little bit. He then acted normally until today when he is just lying on the bottom of the tank. He's not constipated, he's actively pooping in the picture so I don't think he has swim bladder disease, which seemed to be the other option. I don't want him to suffer, and I think he can drown if he stays at the bottom for too long. Should I euthanize him?

[​IMG]

My tank is a heavily planted 34 gallon tank, that has been established for twenty months.

Ammonia- 0 ppm
    Nitrtrite- 0 ppm
    Nitrate- 5-10 ppm
    pH- 7
    temperature- 74F

I infuse CO2 for my plants to 35ppm and have for six months with no problem. I use a CO2 indicator and the CO2 and plant light are on an 8 on 16 off light cycle.

Other than Rainbow Fabulous I also have

4 zebra danios. Danny Pudi, Danny Glover, Danny DeVito, and Danny Trejo.
    1 reticulated hill stream loach. Sticky.
    1 octocinclus. Doc Oc
    1 zebra nerite snail. Jacqueline

This seems like a really light bio load for this size and this age of aquarium to me. No new fish have been added since February or March when I put in the nerite snail.

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

You need to add more danios and Otto's,they both need groups of 6+.How long have you had that gourami he might just be old.how long has this been going on?

3. Syna Initiate Member

I've had him for twenty months. So he's at least a year and a half old and some change. I'll add danios and ottos.

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Then it's not from old age,is he still like this or has he moved.is there anything hes doing that's not normal besides laying down?try feeding him peas or sounds like something is wrong with his swim bladder,if he does not improve in a few days euthanize him.