Sick fish?

molson622

I have 5 Tiger Barbs, 4 z Danios, and a Red Tailed Shark. The Shark and the Danios are behaving normally (although the shark is more sluggish than I remember him being at the store.. I picked him because he was flying around the tank).

3 of the tiger barbs have a tendancy to just hang out at a 45-degree angle and not move much. It was happening very little but it seems to be happening more. I remember reading something about that on here a while ago.. but I couldn't find the post. I just recently (3 days ago) did a 25% water change. Any ideas?

Isabella

Well, what size is your tank? How long have you had it? When did you get your fish? Are there any other fish besides the ones you have listed? Also, do you know your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? Thanks

molson622

It is a 12 gallon tank. (Marineland Eclipse 12). I have had it since Christmas. I will check the readings when I get home.. but the last time I checked everything was at 0. (That was Friday). The only things in the tank are what I listed.

Isabella

I'm sorry to be telling you this but your tank is very overstocked. Your Tiger Barbs alone would need at least a 20 gallon tank and your Red Tail Shark needs at least 55 gallons of water

I think the reason for this strange behavior of your fish may be an outset of some disease due to bad water quality. That happens when people overstock their tanks.

Maybe your parameters are good as of now, when the fish are still small. But with time, they will get too large for your tank, especially the Red Tail Shark, which grows up to 7" - that A LOT as for a 12 gallon tank.

Let me know of your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests' results when you know them.

P.S. While a small school of Zebra Danios may be OK in a 12 gallon tank ... I believe these small fish should be kept in something around 30 gallons at least due to the speed at which they swim. They're very fast swimmers and they like to have a lot of room.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom