Sick fish

Morgan Smith

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just recently checked on my fish today when i went to feed them and noticed this on my GBR. Looks like a bacterial infection maybe. After watching him for a little while I did notice he was acting different (bumping his body into decor and swimming low - aka both not good signs) I recently had a fish die from fin rot but though that attached the back fins. Please let me know of anything I can do to prevent this from getting worse

Attachments

OP
Morgan Smith

Morgan Smith

Reaction score
Tank
10 gallon
Running for 4 months (ran for a month to cycle)
Two filters
There is a heater
Temperature ranges from 78-80 depending on temp of my apartment (it’s been 80 for the past two weeks)
3 guppies, 1 GBR

Maintenance
Between 50-25% water changes every 7-9 days depending on schedule
Prime and aquarium salt are added after water changes
Yes I vacuum the substrate with a gravel siphon

*Parameters -
Tank was cycled - ran for a month with no fish
API Test tube kit used to test water (NOT the strips)

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: between 5-10 (maybe closer to 10) ppm
pH: ~ 6.8

Feeding
Feed them once a day
A light sprinkle of dry food
The brand of food is TetraMin 3-Crisps select a food
I will occasionally feed them frozen bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
I’ve had this fish for 3 months
Noticed the symptoms today
Looks as if some of his scales are deteriorating and has a white fuzziness to it
No treatment yet
No prior injuries or illness with this guy, has been very healthy and find started to grow and always has a lot of color
He has been sitting a lot in the crevice and I saw him hit against a rock once or twice just now

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Pretty much described what all is going on and I just would like to know if I need to get any sort of anti-fungal to put in the water to save him. The other thing is I recently went away for two days and one of my fish passed away. I assumed it was fin rot as that’s what it looked like from his fins. So since I wasn’t able to immediately remove him from the tank would that have been an opportunity for this guy to get an infection from him?

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for posting the info.

How come you add aquarium salt with each water change and how much?

How many fish and which species were in the tank for 3 months.

OP
Morgan Smith

Morgan Smith

Reaction score
The container says to add it with each water change. And I only add half of a spoon give or take . Never a full spoonful.

the sick one has been in the tank the longest the guppies were added about a month and a half ago

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Morgan Smith said:
The container says to add it with each water change. And I only add half of a spoon give or take . Never a full spoonful.

the sick one has been in the tank the longest the guppies were added about a month and a half ago
Sorry, what container says to add it? None of your fish need to live in aquarium salt-this could be part of the problem.

I think you'd be best to stop adding salt, and increase your water change schedule until you've got only freshwater in your tank.

New Threads