Sick Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by DestinyTheresa, Apr 19, 2018.

1. D

DestinyTheresa New Member Member

Ph: 7.6
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 40
    Established 2 years, nothing new.
    60g tank
    350gph filter total
    (yes I removed my carbon)

Started off with my yo-yo loaches dying, and they also appeared to have this white thread looking thing n their fins.. We had a massive fish death (7), and finally thought we were on the upswing. Now I see one of my Tetra also exhibit in the same symptoms... What else can I do?

Treated previously wiyh melafix and pimafix... Current stock is: 5 white skirt tetras, 4 platys, 1 snail

Deep blue is the one with the white issue in skirt .And the platy is showing as well

Ph: 7.6
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 40
    Established 2 years, nothing new.
    60g tank
    350gph filter total
    (yes I removed my carbon)

Started off with my yo-yo loaches dying, and they also appeared to have this white thread looking thing n their fins.. We had a massive fish death (7), and finally thought we were on the upswing. Now I see one of my Tetra also exhibit in the same symptoms... What else can I do?

Treated previously wiyh melafix and pimafix... Current stock is: 5 white skirt tetras, 4 platys, 1 snail

Deep blue is the one with the white issue in skirt .And the platy is showing as well

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Quartine them and treat with Epsom salt

Looks like it might be ich treat with Epsom salt

3. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks, in wondering more so what's wrong with them? My quarantine is way too small and I think I'd rather treat the while tank now.

I can try that, but it doesn't look so much like crystals as it does...lack of better wording...thread like. I can't explain it well, it just didn't look like ick to me. But if you guys think so, I'll try that .I thought it was more fungal or something.

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think it's ich, but I also don't know what it might be. Don't use epsom salt, not sure how it's supposed to even help with ich as it's main uses for fish is the same as in humans, laxative and reduces swelling.

I try an all rounder med, like API general cure.

5. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

**Threads merged**

Please be careful when giving information. This doesn't look like ich. Even if it was Epsom salt wouldn't help.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    D

Thankfully no more deaths and I gave API general last night, not seeing a huge difference..but, they're all alive and found around 30fry.
    So I'm going to continue 25% changes every other day and slowly try to reintroduce my decorations once I'm confident no other fish are dying!

If anyone ever figures it out, please tell me! I've never seen this before!

8. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I could be way off, but maybe look at columnaris? Right now it somewhat resembles finrot, but I was under the impression that wasn't a fast killer. Columnaris resembles a fungus, but is actually bacterial, and can wipe out a tank very quickly, or moderately so, depending on the strain. If you believe it to be columnaris, kanaplex is a good treatment and has proven to be a relatively safe medication for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice