Sick Fish!!

1. Division Initiate Member

I have and established 10 gal tank. I have 2 male fancy tails, 4 cory cats, 1 bushy nose place, and 1 otto cat in this tank.
    I bought a new 20 gal tank. I put sand in it and it is crazy cloudy. The sand was the type that came treated so I could move the fish over more quickly, but the water is not clearing and it has been about 5 hours.
    Here is the problem. in my 10 gal tank 1 of the fancy tails has come down with ich. I noticed it this morning. I put off medicating hoping I could move the other fish into the new tank before medicating, and leaving the sick guy in isolation.
    After waiting all day I finally had to medicate as my sick guy is struggling to swim. Is it safer to leave the other fish in the medicated tank, or should I move them to the new tank even though it is super cloudy?

2. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Ich should be treated in the main tank, but I am
    pretty sure you will encounter more issues.
    This tank is to small for even one fancy (sorry) and you've coldwater and tropical fish together.
    Ich is the first sign there is something going wrong. Not wanne be rude but only advice I can give : rehome or get a bigger tank (and seperate the coldwater from tropical fish).

3. axel Member Member

Agree with DoubleDutch ..your tank a bit overstocked and mixing coldwater with tropical fish never a good idea...did u turn on your filter?? Next time rinse any kind of substrate before putting them in tank

4. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I bought "washed" sand for my tanks and still had to wash the heck out of it. Tried to do it all in a huge bucket but there was too much, so I ended up having to do it 2 cups at a time in a smaller bowl. What type of sand? My guess would be if it's still cloudy after hours, there was some clay content in the sand. Best IMO to plop that tank out on the lawn, tip it slightly, and hose it while stirring the sand until it overflows and all the cloudiness pours out. Once it's truly clean, the sand should settle within a few minutes.

Another thing to consider, that is if you plan on upgrading to keep the goldfish, is that they are big time diggers. I have two fancies and I'm pretty sure if I gave them sand, they'd destroy my filters with the amount of substrate they eat, spit out, and kick up into the current.

In regards to moving the healthy fish, I think you'll be better off leaving them in while you treat, provided the medication is safe for them. Cories are kinda sensitive to water quality, so doing a fish-in cycle with them might kill them off. You also don't want to accidentally move the parasite into the new tank with them.

Have you upped your water changes? When I got ich in my first tank I was afraid to use the meds I bought because of the dye, so I treated it with large, frequent water changes and raised temps. No one died, and no one else caught it.