Sick fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Valgal1480, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Valgal1480New MemberMember

Hello. Hoping someone can help. I am new having fish. Two weeks ago we bought and set up a 55 gallon tank with two angel fish, some kind of silver and black shark fish and a tiger barb. In the last couple of days the fish have started to bloat, have a cloudy look to them, and have red coming out from their pectoral fins.

I took the water to petsmart and they said the nitrates where high and to replace half the water in the tank. I did that yesterday, fish look worse today.

I am wondering if I have a disease or if it is nitrates and what I can do for it. If I figure out how to post a picture I can show you what the fish look like.

Thanks

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here! :)

First of all, sounds like you didn't cycle your tank. I'd recommend reading up on the nitrogen cycle and getting your own liquid test kit, such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Link to an article on the nitrogen cycle should be highlighted in blue.

Secondly, your fish are in incomplete schools it sounds like, as tiger barbs must be in schools of at the very least, six. Getting more lowers their aggression levels.

Also, sounds like your "silver and black shark fish" might be a bala shark, which will outgrow your tank if that's what it is. I'll need a picture to make sure, first.

It could be a parasite coupled with the stress of cycling, imo. I don't know much about treating internal parasites, and I'm not even sure that's what it is, so let's wait for other responses.

Here's a thread on how to post pictures: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/how-do-i/169875-how-attach-pictures-posts.html

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Even though your schooling numbers aren't high enough at the moment, don't add any fish until you can fix what's going on in your tank.

Pics would be helpful, as well as the water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates). Don't let the pet store tell you "fine" or "high" - get the exact readings.

4. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

When getting a new tank you would want to do a fishless cycling, you can look up how to do this on this forum :) Also it's a good idea to get the API master testing kit so you can monitor the water parameters.

Also I recommend doing a lot more research on the fish you got and make sure they are compatible with each other.

One more thing; when you're done fishless cycling, you only want to add one or two fish in at a time or there will be a huge ammonia jump.

Hope your fish do better and you rectify the problems. Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    V

Valgal1480New MemberMember

Thanks for the response. Can I get the API freshwater master test kit at a petsmart or petco?

After reading the articles it is obvious I didn't cycle the tank enough or at all...Now that I have the fish in there, there is nothing I can really do about that...Would you recommend to just keep replacing water? Yesterday I did half of the tank, today I did about a 1/4 of it...

I have no clue what is compatible and what is not..I'll have to research that more...The fish I have just all came together...They have lived together for some time at the previous home...

Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it...And hope these fish make it...I have been adding a slime coat that came with them whenever I replace water...

Screenshot (10).png If you can see this ok..This is one of the Angel fish..You can see the red by his fin, it looks fuzzy and bloated too..

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  6. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Yup that's where I got mine either store is fine but I think it's a bit cheaper at petco.

Personally I would take all the fish back and see if the store can save them. Keeping them in that tank even with that many water changes would make them worse I think. Then do your research and cycle your tank before adding fish.

I think the slime coat thing would help their immune systems maybe? It couldn't hurt!

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Since you already got the fish, you're stuck doing a fish-in cycle. What I would suggest is while you are heading to Petco/Petsmart to pick up the test kit is to get a bottle of Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability. Prime not only acts as a water conditioner for when you do water changes, it will detoxify the ammonia and nitrite up to 1 ppm for every dose you add, up to 5 doses.
    The Seachem Stability will help you cycle your tank faster and establish your bacteria colony in a shorter amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

That looks like columnaries. Have you asked the LFS you bought your fish from if thy have had any disease outbreaks in their tanks?

9. OP
    OP
    V

Thanks guys. I actually can't take the fish back because the tank and fish came from a private party that were moving and could no longer keep them... The emptied the tank and gave me the fish in a bucket.

At this point I am trying to figure out what to do to give these guys the best shot at survival. Which is seeming slim.. :/

10. BornThisWayBettas

Sorry I wasn't able to reply sooner!

Yes, you can buy the API Freshwater Master Test Kit at your local Petco/Petsmart tmk.

For now, until you can get a bottle of Tetra Safe Start or whatever you want to cycle using, I'd keep doing the water changes frequently.

Yeah, we can worry about compatibility after we save these fish haha!

Have you also been adding a water conditioner?

11. OP
    OP
    V

Thanks. I have been using this every time I change the water. I am going to go et one of those test kits today to try and see if I can get some actual numbers. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438344368.227222.jpg

Thank you all for the help!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438344435.039383.jpg

Same fish today.

12. BornThisWayBettas

I'd suggest getting a bottle of Prime, because does that say that it detoxifies ammonia?

13. OP
    OP
    V

I don't see anything about ammonia. I'll pick up a thing of prime today. Thanks for all the tips.

They did come with a bottle of this. I was thinking of picking up a bottle of prime and stability. Would this work just as good? Or just go with those other two things. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438348614.873013.jpg

Or maybe I should do the water test first and post some numbers.

14. BornThisWayBettas

Yeah, let's see your water parameters, but imo, Prime is always a good thing to have on hand. Plus, one capful treats 50 gallons of water, so it's really affordable.

EDIT: I don't know about that other stuff you posted a picture of, I have no experience with it. :)

15. OP
    OP
    V

Here are the water test results before adding any prime. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438357701.182191.jpg

16. BornThisWayBettas

Yes, quite obviously, your nitrites and nitrates are over the roof. What are all the things you're using right now for your water? When was the last time you did a water change?

I don't know if Prime does anything for nitrites, but I do know that nitrates must be removed by water changes.

17. OP
    OP
    V

I changed half the water on Wednesday. And a quarter of the water yesterday. Each time I changed it I used the API stress coat.

The prime looks like it should. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438359050.733967.jpg

18. BornThisWayBettas

I personally would do another water change, to help lower your nitrates. Dom90?

19. OP
    OP
    V

Thanks for your help!

Would you change half of it?

20. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I cant really see what the nitrates are at, is it closer to 40 or 80? If it's 40, do a 50%, if it's closer to 80, do a 75% water change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice