SIck Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by honeyooo, Jul 21, 2015.

1. honeyoooValued MemberMember

Hi All,

I have a few sick fish in the tank and I would like your opinions on what it may be. I have been looking all over the site and the web for what this may be but I have 3 different fish sick and they all seem to have different symptoms.

Facts:
    60 Gal tank
    no new fish
    moderately stocked with tropical fish
    no live plants
    water perimeters unknown as I am currently treating the tank(didnt think I would get a proper reading with tank being medicated)
    using melafix and pimafix on day 4 of treatment
    The sick (with visible signs)1 tetra(fin rot and weird bumps) and 1 silver dollar(pop eye and a black mark on his side)
    Dead: 1 platy with no visible signs other than labored breathing and resting at the bottom before death
    1 dwarf gourami with open sore and labored breathing
    1 dwarf gourami with no symptoms

Im not sure what is going on in the tank and I am treating with Melafix and Pimafix. From what I am reading possibly a bacterial infection? Not sure since we are getting several symptoms.

Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

• SIck Fish
      1.jpg
      File size:
      106 KB
      Views:
    • SIck Fish
      2.jpg
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
    • SIck Fish
      3.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
  2. kendosky11New MemberMember

What have you done to treat the water ??

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Hmm, can we have your water parameters anyways? What test kit are you using? What other fish are in the tank?

Welcome to Fish Lore, kendosky11!!!! Nice to have you here! :)

4. OP
    OP
    h

honeyoooValued MemberMember

I use the API master test kit my readings are ph 7.2 high ph 7.8 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 0-5. ppm so all the levels are ok even with the medication in there. Other fish in the tank are 3 more silver dollars, 3 more tetras, 1 platty, 1 pleco, 4 rosy barbs, 1 dwarf gourami, 2 regular gouramis, 3 cory cats and 4 of their cory cat babies, 5 asian algae eaters. I am treating the fish with melafix and pimafix and just use a regular water conditioner like API for water changes.

And Thank you, Ive been here a while but only come in occasionally

5. BornThisWayBettas

Well....... Do you have any other tanks that you have shared equipment with? Also, what kind of pleco?

6. OP
    OP
    h

no, its just a regular tank nothing has been added. I gave you all of the information. He is a common pleco

7. kendosky11New MemberMember

I would do a complete 100% water change ... It's a little risky but there has to be something in your water causing this... Have you cleaned or changed filter sponges also ? Then just add some stress coat

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    h

A 100% water change is too risky I think. Everything is regularly maintained. I finished the 7 days treatment of pimafix and metafix and am waiting to see what happens next. My Tetra I am afraid, is a lost cause. He is eating well, swimming fine. Doesnt seem to be any labored breathing but he is still covered in the(for a lack of better word) boo boos. It will just be a matter of time before he goes I am sure. As long as he is swimming fine, eating and acting normal he will be in my tank. I dont want to have to euthanize him but if it comes to that point I will have to do it.

Ive never seen anything like this before....its baffling me. Guess(and hoping) its just a bacterial and or fungal thing that has been resolved with the treatment.

9. BornThisWayBettas

I hope so too. And I sincerely hope he pulls through.

Best of luck and wishes for you all. :)

10. OP
    OP
    h

Thank you!! I hope so too. Hes part of a 4some that Ive had for a long time. Id hate to lose any of them. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice