Sick Fish with white spots...don't think it's ich though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all,

I have a dwarf gourami who has been showing a variety of symptoms over the last few months. His biggest "symptom" is that he has white spots (one on the left side, 2 on the right). He has had these spots for nearly 2 months now.

Now, initially I thought he had a parasitic problem because his tummy is rather swollen and his poop is white. However, he has been treated (on separate occasions) with Interpet anti-internal parasite and Seachem paragard. Neither seem to have made any difference.

Moving on two weeks from the anti-parasite meds, the gourami is now suffering with fin rot, which I am putting down to whatever is going on with him because my water parameters are fine (details below).

The gourami is currently in a QT tank being treated with Malachite green - the white spots do not appear fuzzy, haven't changed shape and do not appear to be spreading so I don't believe it is a fungus. I have been trying to give him a break inbetween treatments rather than throwing one medication after another at him but I'm keen to try and find out what this IS as it is clearly getting worse (now the fin rot is showing). He is currently on day 3 of treatment with the malachite green. I should also mention that he is eating, swimming and behaving completely normally, the only indication he might not be feeling too good is that his fins are clamped some of the time.

Before he was put in QT, he was in an 80 litre tank with 5 false julii corys and 7 neons. Water parameters are consistently 0/0/20. The tank is medium-heavily planted.

I guess I am wanting someone to reassure me that I am on the right track and to find out if anyone has any idea at all what this could be? I have attached a picture.

Thank you!

IMG_5057.PNG

pacmanfrog101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might be dropsy or constipation. Look up epsom salts treatment. Epsom salt makes fish relieve themselves. If you try and the fish takes a huge dump, that means he was constipated and good cause he's not anymore

And means thank God he didn't have dropsy

Last edited by a moderator:

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He isn't pine coned so I don't think it's dropsy (dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease anyway!). He refuses to eat peas, starving for 3 days at a time has no effect, and I don't think constipation would cause random white spots? I've never used epsom salts before so a bit concerned about diving in with them lol

pacmanfrog101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's fine, I've tried it plenty and the fish always came our fine, even if they weren't treated. The fish I used it on did have dropsy

Sprogladite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The spots and the extreme bloating could be signt of Dwarf Gourami Disease.
Do you think so? He isn't displaying any of the typical symptoms in terms of loss of appetite or heavy breathing? I don't really want to give up on him as I've had him for a couple of years now and he's such a character! Presumably if that's what it is, he will deteriorate until it's obvious that is what it is - at which point I'd rather PTS than watch drown!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom