Sick fish? Why is he turning yellow?

Lvmyfsh

I'm not sure which particular kind of cichlid this is but the blue cichlid is slowly but surely turning yellow he is in a hundred gallon tank with a variety of other cichlid breeds as well as a few Queen loaches I noticed that the tank does have fin rot and I'm aware what is causing that problem is simply an Overstock tank I had one crash and had to combine two tanks into one now I have too many fish and unfortunately I don't have the heart to euthanize them suddenly I noticed that this particular fish over the past few weeks is slowly but surely turned yellow. Yet his fins are the only perfect ones in the tank?? After sleepless nights of researching velvet and gold dust as well as ich and the variety of bugs and parasite that live in the tanks. I just had a explosion in the population of the harmless white bugs that skip around in your tank.and I'm familiar with several of these issues as I have experienced them in other smaller fish tank setups. Due to the lack of treatments on the pet store shelves I was unable to do anything besides make appropriate water changes now I am treating the tank with melafix as well as microbe-lift product however I'm not sure exactly what this particular yellow stuff is on my fish at this time I'm treating the tank for fin rot because that is the one obvious thing happening can anyone explain this phenomenon happening in my fish tank I have turn off the lights and do not see it on other fish even my albino cichlids no one else appears to be turning a color they don't belong other than these two blue cichlids no fish is in particular distress I haven't lost any lives yet however the fin rot did get worse pretty much overnight because I did not realize the heater was unplugged so a rapid progression of fin rot but that doesn't cause them to turn yellow as far as I know? Still learning from my mistakes hear any help would be appreciated thank you I attached photos of the blue cichlids as well as the white ones just so you can see that they don't appear to be turning yellow. Only the 2nd fish if his same breed is now turning yellow is this natural maybe? Tanks were combined aboit 2 months ago

Attachments

• 20210914_231351.jpg
    20210914_231351.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210914_231356.jpg
    20210914_231356.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210914_231404.jpg
    20210914_231404.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210914_231317.jpg
    20210914_231317.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210914_231349.jpg
    20210914_231349.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 7

DoubleDutch

I am pretty sure it is natural coloring.

MacZ

Yep, nothing wrong. They are not "breeds" they are species. It's a misconception that they are all the same species, because they are often sold as "african cichlids" which is a term that grinds my gears. These here are all East African cichlids from the Rift Lakes, to be precise from Lake Malawi and all are part of a group that is called "Mbuna" and within that group there are numerous species and subspecies.

The white one is an albino Pseudotropheus socolofi, the bright yellow one is a Labidochromis caeruleus, and the one developing yellow colours is a Pseudotropheus cabro. As it is a bit atypical it might very well be a hybrid.

So: Three different species, with naturally different colour patterns.

Lvmyfsh

Yep, nothing wrong. They are not "breeds" they are species. It's a misconception that they are all the same species, because they are often sold as "african cichlids" which is a term that grinds my gears. These here are all East African cichlids from the Rift Lakes, to be precise from Lake Malawi and all are part of a group that is called "Mbuna" and within that group there are numerous species and subspecies.

The white one is an albino Pseudotropheus socolofi, the bright yellow one is a Labidochromis caeruleus, and the one developing yellow colours is a Pseudotropheus cabro. As it is a bit atypical it might very well be a hybrid.

So: Three different species, with naturally different colour patterns.
Omg I did learn about there origin malawi and the mbuna and I live in Alaska they often sell us fish that are not what there being sold as.. I appreciate the replies I was starting to freak out and figure out what treatment or to take him out all together as soon as the 2nd one started turning I was like wow maybe something is very wrong.. I wish there was an outlet her to get rid of some but for now I'm on the fin rot brink at all times it seems so I'm already on high alert with 100 gal tank I'm sure you can understand I hate to be dumping meds and chemicals of any kind into it but I've learned the hard way on some things with 200 gallons in my home total I turn to this forum when I'm stumped. Thx once again for saving me fish lore family:)

MacZ

Don't bother with fin rot. Mbuna are aggressive little monsters and almost all fin damage is due to aggression, not disease. Additionally you would need to have extremely bad water quality to see fin rot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
Olivia Janae
Replies