Sick fish, swimming upright & breathing heavy? Help 

Tankmandan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He is swimming upright, breathing heavy and is slow. He is still eating and swimming.
IMG_1563.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I can see a guppy in the background that appears to be struggling to keep its tail up? What size tank? Water parameters? Other tank inhabitants? Are usually the best starting points. Or the Sick fish template. Although i don't know how to add the link. But a search on Fishlore will find it i'm sure.

Tankmandan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s. 20g tall tank. There’s 3 guppies, 11 neon tetras, 4otto cats and a baby golden dojo loach. The tank is running very good with 0/0/0. It is in need of a water change last one was two weeks ago. This guppy has had issues with fin rot in the past. I am currently using an immunity booster and melaflex or something. I can not think of any reason how he could have gotten hurt in the tank.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tankmandan said:
I am currently using an immunity booster and melaflex or something
Be careful just jumping the gun and adding meds before the illness is determined. Sometimes it's just a water issue and a few frequent WC's and a little time can resolve a lot of issues on their own.

Tankmandan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yah. I have had success with it before which is why I started. The immunity booster is very mild. Being in canada we are not allowed most fish meds. The immunity booster is a mix of natural substances which is why it’s me go to.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tankmandan said:
Yah. I have had success with it before which is why I started. The immunity booster is very mild. Being in canada we are not allowed most fish meds. The immunity booster is a mix of natural substances which is why it’s me go to.
Ahh ok sorry wasn't knocking your approach to the issue. Just letting you know sometimes WC's can help a lot with fish issues. Curious as to why you don't have any Nitrate readings? Also you said it yourself that the tank is overdue for a WC. As long as its well established i would reccomend a 50-75% WC and keep an eye on the guppy in question.

Tankmandan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The nitrate is prob between 0 to 0.5. I find it hard to see at times. The water change is next on my list I’m just working the weekend night shift and can’t fit it in for two more days. I’ve read of possible swim bladder issues but right now it’s a waiting game and since he still eats he is doing okay right now

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tankmandan said:
The nitrate is prob between 0 to 0.5. I find it hard to see at times. The water change is next on my list I’m just working the weekend night shift and can’t fit it in for two more days. I’ve read of possible swim bladder issues but right now it’s a waiting game and since he still eats he is doing okay right now
I agree they are hard to read sometimes. I would at least try to snaeak in a 25% WC till you can do a good size one. Hope he gets better for u. Good luck!!

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tankmandan said:
It’s. 20g tall tank. There’s 3 guppies, 11 neon tetras, 4otto cats and a baby golden dojo loach. The tank is running very good with 0/0/0. It is in need of a water change last one was two weeks ago. This guppy has had issues with fin rot in the past. I am currently using an immunity booster and melaflex or something. I can not think of any reason how he could have gotten hurt in the tank.
I read your aquarium details, so I see you understand the nitrogen cycle. I also see you are just starting out. But it doesn’t say when you started the tank. Reason for the questions is that your last water change 2 weeks ago with a reading of 0/0/0 is puzzling. Did you do a fishless cycle? If you did a cycle with fish, as your readings show you really aren’t fully cycled yet. I would make the time to do a 50% or more water change. The safest thing for fish during any cycle process is fresh clean water.

Tankmandan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update. He seems to be missing parts of his tail fin which is why he is swimming oddly. Might be hard to tell by the picture. I’m not sure what to do about this.
IMG_1570.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom