Sick Fish? please help Question

1. wannj Initiate Member

I already have a betta in quarantine due to his health, im treating him with betta fix and aquarium salt. the problem is now my clown loaches appear like they may have something too, the ill dart and turn to their side and hit the gravel. my large angel fish did this once too. I am worried im going to lose all my fish, what does this sound like? the water is fine, I did water change recently, and I see no external sickness, like white spots, swollen scales, etc. please help

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

What are your current water parameters?

3. wannj Initiate Member

wow I need water change, ammonia 4.0ppm,nitrite .25ppm, nitrate5.0ppm

4. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Oh goodness those water parameters are awful! I'm sorry this is going on!

I would do 2 back to back 50% w/c and run out to the store and get some TSS to prevent your fish from being hurt by the nitrogen cycle.

Good luck! :)

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Is your profile up to date? Clown loaches need a much bigger tank than 20 gallons & I wouldn't put the Betta back in with the rams when his quarantine is over.
    Was the filter cycled properly? by the sound of your test results it seems not, as blushed said get some Tss as soon as you can & in the meantime do large water changes to get those numbers down.

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, blusshed is right. You need back-to-back water changes. The ammonia and nitrate are crazy high. Add a full bottle of Prime to the tank after you do the changes.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You mean Tss don't you not Prime?

8. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Probably to neutralize the existing problems, then wait 24 hours, then add the TSS, right Adam55? :)

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I agree to use Prime to bind the ammonia & nitrite but not a whole bottle, that would be overkill

10. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Oh, jeez...yes. TSS, not Prime. I'm logged in from work so I get distracted.

See, I told you I get distracted. I did indeed mean Prime, but not a whole bottle. It binds up the ammonia. Now I'm all upside down.

11. wannj Initiate Member

ok, I did a 50% change, and put some nite out in it, 5ml per 10 gallons, but becaue of my physical disability, I have to get help to change it, and I cant get help again right now. what is tss, can I get it from petco?

12. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

TSS is tetra safe start. You can disregard that for now. Just focus on the Prime. I was trying to do two things at once and got a little sidetracked. Now I'm just doing one thing at once and can reply more thoroughly. Prime is going to bind the ammonia so it is not toxic to fish. Dosage is on the bottle, but you can add up to five times that amount in emergency cases. I apologize for the misdirection.

13. wannj Initiate Member

thanks, I purchased some prime today