Sick Fish!!! Help Needed Urgently!!!

bob124

Reaction score
Recently (over a course of 3-4 weeks) I noticed that some of my fish have been suddenly started twitching randomly and having body spasms out of the blue. It started with a few of my female guppies, then to my male guppies, then to my platies and the rest of my livebearers, and then to one of my catfish, and then to my gouramis. However, none of my tetras and the rest of the catfish seem to be affected. I added some salt in the tank but it didn’t help much. Now, some fish are sitting at the bottom of the tank, some afloat at the surface, and some hiding under plants or ornaments, either way, these fish haven’t been moving much around the tank, and don’t eat a whole lot. I have a 35 gallon (130L) tropical tank will with all types of livebearers, 6 glow light tetras, 2 albino corys, 2 bronze corys, two gouramis and a few mystery snails. Water parameters are where they should be. Over the last two weeks, more than 8 fish have died. No idea what the problem is, however, I realised that it had something to do with the their anus....
All the fish that died had an inflammation of some sort in their anus which was clear to see up close. Here are a few photos....

Attachments

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What is your ammonia level? Whenever my tank goes through a mini cycle, the fishstart going up to the surface, that's a big indicator to me that something is wrong.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the post thoroughly enough. I am no expert on parasites (hopefully someone else is) but I would suspect that is what is going on.

Me again, just had a quick google of parasites. Could this be Camallanus? Here's a thread discussing how to treat it Important - How To Get Rid Of Camallanus/nematode Worms

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If it's Camallanus I hope you have the meds given on the thread available in your area. I have 2-3 local club members that caught that disease (more on passed on between them). And the meds is either hard or so expensive to get in out location. Only thing that they can do at that time is to shut down and restart all their tanks. and I mean all cause it can easily be passed and cross contaminate the other tank. They had to throw out the substrate and all the decors, sanitize the tanks properly and all the equipments, and cull all livestock. Of course that was done after 2 months of trying to see if they can battle this disease to no avail.

But again I'm just sharing this experience so you'd have a better chance of eliminating the diesase or at least prepare you and what the worst case can be. Good luck!

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ryan P said:
If it's Camallanus I hope you have the meds given on the thread available in your area. I have 2-3 local club members that caught that disease (more on passed on between them). And the meds is either hard or so expensive to get in out location. Only thing that they can do at that time is to shut down and restart all their tanks. and I mean all cause it can easily be passed and cross contaminate the other tank. They had to throw out the substrate and all the decors, sanitize the tanks properly and all the equipments, and cull all livestock. Of course that was done after 2 months of trying to see if they can battle this disease to no avail.

But again I'm just sharing this experience so you'd have a better chance of eliminating the diesase or at least prepare you and what the worst case can be. Good luck!
Yeah Levamisole seems to be hard to get for many people. My boyfriend's bolivian rams got camallanus worms but the Levamisole is very restricted in Quebec and we couldn't get any. There are some websites where you can buy it for less than 30$ I believe so we got it from there. OP, I can probably give you the name of the site where we bought it if you can't get it where you live.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bob124 said:
Recently (over a course of 3-4 weeks) I noticed that some of my fish have been suddenly started twitching randomly and having body spasms out of the blue. It started with a few of my female guppies, then to my male guppies, then to my platies and the rest of my livebearers, and then to one of my catfish, and then to my gouramis. However, none of my tetras and the rest of the catfish seem to be affected. I added some salt in the tank but it didn’t help much. Now, some fish are sitting at the bottom of the tank, some afloat at the surface, and some hiding under plants or ornaments, either way, these fish haven’t been moving much around the tank, and don’t eat a whole lot. I have a 35 gallon (130L) tropical tank will with all types of livebearers, 6 glow light tetras, 2 albino corys, 2 bronze corys, two gouramis and a few mystery snails. Water parameters are where they should be. Over the last two weeks, more than 8 fish have died. No idea what the problem is, however, I realised that it had something to do with the their anus....
All the fish that died had an inflammation of some sort in their anus which was clear to see up close. Here are a few photos....

Be careful using salt with invertebrates. I have no clue what s going on with your fish, could be an internal parisite, but just wanted to give you head up on salt and snails. Best of luck

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I hope you can figure out what's going on, and I'm so sorry your having these troubles. Best of luck

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom