Sick Fish/ Fish Keep Dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fishkeeper1233, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Fishkeeper1233

Fishkeeper1233New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    -10gallon
    How long has the tank been running?
    -almost 2 yrs
    Does it have a filter?
    -yes, marineland biowheel penguin 75
    Does it have a heater?
    -yes
    What is the water temperature?
    -80 most of the time sometimes during day goes up to 82 but hard to control(and lower) b/c live in Houston and summers super hot
    What is the entire stocking of this tank?
    -golden Inca snail, white mystery snail, zebra Nerite snail
    -started with 7 ghost shrimp about a year ago but it’s uncountable now, guessing around 10+ (some baby ones survived somehow, I’ve seen em grow)
    -3 guppies that all died in past 3 days
    -4 neon tetras (now 3 b/c one passed away today overnight)

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    -2-3 weeks
    How much of the water do you change?
    -50%
    What do you use to treat your water?
    -Aqueon water conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    -Vacuum gravel (sometimes even move ornaments to vacuum under/around)

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    -Yes
    What do you use to test the water?
    -API masterkit

What are your parameters?

Before fish started dying:
    Ammonia:0 ppm
    Nitrite:0ppm
    Nitrate:20ppm
    pH:7.4

Did water change after the 3 guppies died.

Currently:
    Ammonia: .25ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 10ppm
    pH:
    A neon tetra died today under these conditions. Even with water-change yesterday.

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    -once a day
    How much do you feed your fish?
    - a small pinch usually consumed while floating in about a minute, sometimes falls down but shrimp eat that
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    -Aqueon tropical flakes
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    -once a week dry freezes bloodworms and once every other week inside of peas
    -1-2 algae wafers with zucchini every week

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    Shrimp~1yr
    White snail~1 week
    Guppies that died~6 months for two~1 week for one
    Neon tetras~1week
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    -4 days
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    -seemed like fin rot on one guppy a few days before it died and I tried treating using pimafix/melafix
    -reddened belly after death
    -clear poop on one guppy a day before it died
    -one guppy had black fins once it died
    -guppies seemed active and normal then within few hours they were tired and not swimming well then they just flipped over dead within few minutes of not swimming well
    -insect someone identified as dragonfly nymph was found during water change
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    -Pimafix/melafix, tetra safestart plus, api QuickStart
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    -no
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    -none (besides after death reddened belly and one had black fins after death, another had hole in stomach and mouth ig from ghost shrimp eating it?)

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

First day there was clear poop in one guppyI thought it was normal after feeding bloodworms, next day the guppy died (ghost worm ate part of it over night and left hole in stomach) and one seemed to have fin rot so I began whole tank for melafix/Pimafix treatment the following day two more died, red bellies and dark fins. Then I found the insect (picture attached) during a water change. Water was fine before fish deaths but got worse after guppies so that’s why I did the water change and after the water change, one neon tetra has died today.

The neon tetras seem completely fine though and the one that died showed no symptoms so it could be stress but should I continue the melafix/Pimafix treatment? Also forgot to mention I took out the activated carbon from the filter.

I’m frustrated and don’t know what’s wrong, could it be a parasite as the clear poop showed? Poor water conditions? Dragonfly nymph? Pure coincidence? The melafix/Pimafix? Fin rot? Or something else undetected?

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Did you quarantine? It's possible you got a sick fish that made others sick, or even the snail carrying a parasite. It is important to note that guppies and neons do live in VERY different water parameters, but I have my reservations as to that being the problem.

3. ShimmeryLuna

ShimmeryLunaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +107
    Experience:
    1 year
    It sounds like the new Guppy you purchased had a parasite/was diseased, and killed the other fish by spreading whatever it had. Did you quarantine the new Guppy for at least 2 weeks before adding it to the main tank? I'm sorry for your losses, btw :(

4. Mtp81

Mtp81New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm still new at this... but having gone through something similar recently, my guess is one of your newer fish carried something into the tank that it couldn't handle. One lesson I've learned is to have a very small hospital tank on hand. Once you see an infected fish, get them out and quarantine asap. It's much easier to handle a disease in a tiny tank that a large one with several fish. I'm sorry this happened to you, I know it sucks. I wish you the best in finding the answers you need.

5. OP
    OP
    Fishkeeper1233

Ratings:
    +3
    I never quarantined since I don’t have a quarantine tank due to a lack of space but always took other precautions like acclimating correctly and not adding the store water. What’s the smallest quarantine tank for the future (like does it have to be a 10gallon setup with full filtration, air pump and heater)? And will this parasite wipe out my fish completely or is there a way to treat it? Since we don’t know exactly what it is, is there any broad medication? Any tips for the next steps I should take?

Also could it just be the dragonfly nymphs that killed my fish? (Attached pictures of 2 different ones found in aquarium) if so, how could I get rid of them.

Also if I got a quarantine tank would I have to worry about starting up the nitrogen cycle and adding beneficial bacteria?

Attached Files:

6. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,532
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sorry to hear about your fish losses! Quarantine tanks do not have to be cycled but do need to be tested for ammonia and nitrites and have frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites at 0 ppm (that's why quarantine/hospital tanks are typically much smaller than the main tank). I keep a 10 gallon hospital tank in dry storage with a spare heater/filter for initial quarantining/treatment and for sick fish that need meds that would knock out my bb in the main tank. I also keep a cycled 30 gallon tank as a quarantine tank for new fish that have been through a 2 week quarantine and antiparasitic treatment in the 10 gallon tank first.
    It is possible that your fish were killed by nymphs. What size are the nymphs in your tank? Usually they kill fish no bigger than they are but will also kill shrimp and snails.
    Here is an article about dragonfly and damselfly nymphs and possible treatments to get rid of them--Note that some of the treatments will also kill shrimp and snails in a tank if they aren't removed first:
    Dragonfly and Damselfly Nymphs. Monsters in Shrimp Tanks. Treatment - Shrimp and Snail Breeder
    Good Luck and welcome to Fishlore.

7. OP
    OP
    Fishkeeper1233

Ratings:
    +3
    One was like a tenth of an inch and the other one was a quarter of an inch. So they’re pretty small and the fish were much bigger.