Sick Fish Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by reeced, Jul 10, 2019.

1. reeced

reecedNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    I have 125l tank
    The tank Been running for over a year with no problem
    The temperature of the tanks sits between 73-75
    I have 2 angle fish 3 silver sharks 3 Pelcos 2 Corys and a couple of sword fish
    I do a 5% water change once a week them once I month I do a 50% water change vacuum the gravel
    I usually cycle the tank for couple of hours before adding the fish back in the tank

GH 30
    KH40
    pH7.5
    NO3 40

2. JamieLu

JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +354
    Experience:
    2 years
    So u remove the fish during water changes? And id be doing more then 5% a week even with the 50% once a month. The 3 plecos alone have a big bioload in addition to the other fish. Whats wrong with the fish? And do u replace filter cartridges if thats what u use? Because u shouldnt replace them unless theyre unusable. Also, do u have a liquid test kit that checks ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? That info will help everyone on this forum help u

3. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,542
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    125 liters is about 31gals and that is quite small for the amount and species of fish you currently have. 5% weekly is way too small an amount to keep the water is good quality. 50% weekly water changes would do your fish good. Never remove the fish during a water change either, there is no need and it is too stressful for them. No need to let the tank sit after a water change either, just be sure you have the new water the same temp as the tank and add water conditioner if needed. Did you change or clean the filter media recently?

Any idea what the ammonia and nitrites are? What species of plecos do you have? How are they behaving and can you post a few pictures?

4. LadyArtemis

LadyArtemisValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +76
    Hi and welcome! I think your big problem is you are waaaay overstocked, 125 liters is like 30 gallons right? Plecos are too big for 30 gallons (or will be) and are big polluters so 3 of them in a 30 is going to make your bio load off the charts. Just the pair of angels in a 30 would be stocked, really overstocked but you could get away with it with Uber water changes, but they need more room than that. By swordfish I assume you mean small tropical swords and those and the sharks and cories should be ok. But all of it together in a 30 is too much. You are probably having problems now because you got the angels and plecos when they were smaller, and after a year and change they have grown out enough to be over polluting the water volume. What are your ammonia and nitrite readings?

For now, if it were me, I’d start doing larger water changes on the weekly (like 30%) and I’d think about upgrading to a bigger tank or rehoming the angels and plecos. With 30 gallons a smaller tropical fish community tank will be more sustainable.

Hope this helps and good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    reeced

reecedNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the help really helps a lot any I best does does a 50% water change now or leave it

6. LadyArtemis

LadyArtemisValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +76
    I say go for it and do 50% now, and at least 30% weekly. And start cycling that bigger tank or seeing who might let you have store credit on those big guys. The cloudiness should dissipate in time. Probably just bacterial bloom there. Wont hurt fish.

Become a Fishlore Member