Help Sick Female Platy?

Tamango

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello all,
I'm a novice when it comes to fishkeeping - I've had tanks in the past, though this is my first planted tank.
I've had this tank (fluval flex 9 gallon) set up since January 2020, and my platy in question, Solly, was the first member...
I had asked my LFS for a male... a few weeks later, Solly gave birth to 7 fry (that's when we discovered Solly was in fact, female) and weeks following, 9 more fry appeared.
Since Covid-19 stopped fish stores from accepting fish, I bought another tank to house most of the fry, since the 9gal would be wayyyy too small everyone (plus i have chili rasboras, and some shrimp).
Fast forward to May, the first batch of fry have grown quite a bit, in fact, one of them that is still housed with Solly has been trying to mate with her. Over the past week now, Solly has been hanging around the top of the tank, not eating at all and looking very thin... I dont know what is going on with her. I had read somewhere that platy behaviour and appetite can change after conception, but I really don't know.
Just as a side note, I've been trying to wrangle the other fry out of the tank currently housed with Solly (4 fry), but they always scramble deep into the plants where I can't get them- and I'm afraid to stress them out by uprooting plants and moving everything around.

Parameters are (and have been for months):
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH: 8
I dont have other levels to give.
I do 30% water changes once a week.

I'll include some pictures of Solly - not that there's much to see, though her pelvic fins seem more clamped than usual.
One of the pictures show the baby that's been trying to mate with her.

I greatly appreciate any advice and knowledge anyone has to share!
Thank you for your time

Attachments

OP
Tamango

Tamango

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Just to add a side note, Solly isn't being harassed constantly.. the little one will try mate with her now and again, but she's left alone most of the time.

New Threads