Sick female betta

Emmsteroni

Reaction score
HI there!

I have a dumbo crowntail female betta who has what seems like a multitude of issues going on.

First picture of Nyxie in November shortly after I purchased her. She was very spunky, but little and was not eating better foods so I fed her betta flake food. Usually I wean little bettas off the flake food and onto better food, but..yeah.

About three weeks ago I noticed she had a large bump on her head. I thought maybe she had hurt herself, but she was eating and being social.

I noticed about 10 days ago she was bloated and not eating. I blame it on the junk food so I put her in a small hospital tank to get her to poop. Small, brown lacy strings of poop. She was next to my male betta tank (he is quite interested in her!), but she didn't notice him at all.

Yesterday I tried a tiny piece of pea to see if I could get her to poop more. The piece fell on her face/eye and she didn't react!

My aquarium store said to try Melafix and I think she is so much worse in the past 24 hours.

The last two pictures are from tonight. I have no idea what to do at this point. Any advice?

Thank you.

Attachments

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
That's not looking very good... looks like she has a white patch on her head/shoulder area, do you have a better picture of that?

Forget about the melafix, that won't do you any good. Are her scales raised or flat like normal?
First thing I would do is lower the water level as much as the heater allows. What is the temperature in the tank like?

OP
E

Emmsteroni

Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
That's not looking very good... looks like she has a white patch on her head/shoulder area, do you have a better picture of that?

Forget about the melafix, that won't do you any good. Are her scales raised or flat like normal?
First thing I would do is lower the water level as much as the heater allows. What is the temperature in the tank like?
The temp in her tank is about 80 degrees. I can lower the water a bit.

I just took this picture of her when she floated back down to the bottom. Hard to get her to face toward me.

Attachments

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
All I can see from this picture is that it doesn't look good. She seems really unnaturally bloated (as in, indicating internal organ problems) and her head seems whited out but it is hard for me to see.
From the sound of your description she can't control her buoyancy anymore?

OP
E

Emmsteroni

Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
All I can see from this picture is that it doesn't look good. She seems really unnaturally bloated (as in, indicating internal organ problems) and her head seems whited out but it is hard for me to see.
From the sound of your description she can't control her buoyancy anymore?
Exactly. She has a few moments where she'll dart off and swim around and then she floats to the bottom and she struggles again.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Emmsteroni said:
Exactly. She has a few moments where she'll dart off and swim around and then she floats to the bottom and she struggles again.
If she isn't pineconing, you can try giving her an epsom salt bath. Also try putting something antiseptic in the tank, like methylene blue or methylene orange or some kind of med containing them.

To be honest I don't hold out much hope though. As soon as you see her scales start to rise, it may be better to put her out of her misery. I know it's harsh but there isn't really any coming back from that.

OP
E

Emmsteroni

Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
If she isn't pineconing, you can try giving her an epsom salt bath. Also try putting something antiseptic in the tank, like methylene blue or methylene orange or some kind of med containing them.

To be honest I don't hold out much hope though. As soon as you see her scales start to rise, it may be better to put her out of her misery. I know it's harsh but there isn't really any coming back from that.
Thank you so much for the advice. I had planned on getting epsom salts this morning, but Nyxie didn't make it through the night.

I appreciate your help.

AJ34

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry to hear, I just lost one as well :( tried a few things but nothing worked. It’s hard because they can get quite sick very fast. all We can do is do our best in trying to help them.

OP
E

Emmsteroni

Reaction score
AJ34 said:
Sorry to hear, I just lost one as well :( tried a few things but nothing worked. It’s hard because they can get quite sick very fast. all We can do is do our best in trying to help them.
Thank you. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I lost a female betta in October (had her for almost two years). She was fine, happy, looked good in the morning and by evening she was showing signs of illness and was gone within three days. It really happens so fast sometimes.

New Threads