Sick Female Betta

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
I honestly don't know what the blister type thing is and what the best medicine would be if none of those has helped. The last thing to try would be API Triple Sulfa, it will often help when others fail. You can use it for 2-3 weeks safely so if you start seeing improvement, continue on treating for a bit.
I just bought kanaplex so I'll see how that goes and let you know for now I'm keeping her on erythromycin it seems to be helping a bit along with regular water changes

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How is she doing?

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
How is she doing?
She's doing much better thanks for asking she's swimming around more and eating the bump on her cheek actually went down a bit I think it popped and now there is a bit of fungus growing on it I haven't gotten the kanaplex in the mail yet but I think I'm just going to give her the jungle fungus medicine to clear up the fungus for now and I started doing Epsom salt baths for my bloated girl it's not really doing anything yet do you have any suggestions for parasite food? The general cure isn't helping her at all

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That is so strange, maybe it was a cyst then on her face.

You can find medicated foods here:

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
That is so strange, maybe it was a cyst then on her face.

You can find medicated foods here:
Thanks I'll order the food there which one do you think I should get? and yeah idk what it was on Rosie but do you think I should give her the jungle fungus or the api fungus cure? They have different ingredients and the orange girl that originally had the fungus on her fin I gave her the api one and the fungus like fell off right away and I gave Rosie the jungle fungus today and it didn't do anything yet. The fungus looks identical to the one the orange girl had its like almost like a dandelion fluff with like straight tufts coming off.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If its like a dandelion fluff that is whats known as a true fungus or saprolegnia growing on the dead or dying tissue. I'd use API Fungus Cure for that. You should be safe using both. If you already have erythromycin in the tank still I'd do a large water change before using the fungus cure.

As far as which food to use, it depends on the worms but I think I'd go with praziquantel flakes as they kill the majority of worms a fish will get and will also take care of flukes.

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
If its like a dandelion fluff that is whats known as a true fungus or saprolegnia growing on the dead or dying tissue. I'd use API Fungus Cure for that. You should be safe using both. If you already have erythromycin in the tank still I'd do a large water change before using the fungus cure.

As far as which food to use, it depends on the worms but I think I'd go with praziquantel flakes as they kill the majority of worms a fish will get and will also take care of flukes.
Oh great so I can use the jungle fungus and the api fungus cure together? It won't be too much or overdose? Also thank you so much for the quick responses I'm learning so much!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think you're ok with those two but not if the erythromycin is still in there? Your other option is to just make up a bath with the fungus cure in a bucket and put her in that once a day for an hour or so.

You lucked out with my quick responses because I'm online right now. Sometimes I get busy and then don't respond for a day!

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
I think you're ok with those two but not if the erythromycin is still in there? Your other option is to just make up a bath with the fungus cure in a bucket and put her in that once a day for an hour or so.

You lucked out with my quick responses because I'm online right now. Sometimes I get busy and then don't respond for a day!
Yeah I did a 100% water change before I put in the jungle fungus this morning so I think I'll add a bit of the fungus cure now and see how that goes. Thank you!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Maybe just start with a half dose and if all looks good, add in the remaining of the dose in 24 hours (just to be safe).

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
Maybe just start with a half dose and if all looks good, add in the remaining of the dose in 24 hours (just to be safe).
so her fungus is gone but now there is basically a white hole in her cheek and she is starting to act lethargic again, I've been doing 50% water changes with only stress coat and stress zyme to see if she will heal on her own but it doesn't seem to be working. Do you think the kanaplex will help her heal faster? I haven't tried giving it to her yet as I am nervous that is a strong medicine and she is only in a 1 gallon hospital tank. The bloated girl is still bloated as ever and the epsom salt baths don't seem to be doing much. I am going to order the parasite food she seems fine and swims around like nothing is wrong. I'm just worried about rosie bc she is sitting at the top again not swimming around much again i think the wound on her cheek may be infected.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, use the Kanaplex. Did you start it?

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
Yes I've been using the kanaplex and furan and she is healing! Still not out of the woods yet but making progress. I took a risk with my bloated girl and aspirated fluid from her abdomen with a very small gauge needle and took out quite a bit of fluid and she has healed up nicely. She is more active and actually eating and has normal colored poop instead of the white stringy poop she had before. I had her in the kanaplex for a day before I did it and followed up after with a few more days of it. She's on her last dose today and then I think I'll put her and the others back in the sorority! Besides Rosie she still needs to heal a bit more. Do you think I should wait to put them back until they can all go together? Or it won't make much of a difference...?

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, impressive. How exactly did you do it? What size gauge needle? Did you anesthetize her first with something? Would love more information on that!

Glad things are looking up. I'd wait and put them all back in together to spread out any new aggression among them.

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
Wow, impressive. How exactly did you do it? What size gauge needle? Did you anesthetize her first with something? Would love more information on that!

Glad things are looking up. I'd wait and put them all back in together to spread out any new aggression among them.
I anesthetized her with clove oil and used a 30 gallon needle on a 3cc syringe, i watched a youtube video on how to do it and she seemed so uncomfortable and just kept getting bigger so i figured she would die if i didn't do it anyway so i took the risk. It seemed to pay off because she is much less bloated now and seems to be acting normal again. I just laid her down after she was asleep on a damp paper towel on a dry cloth towel so it was clean and went in with the needle at the angle of her scales. I had my boyfriend help me pull the end of the syringe while i held her and the needle in place and we took out about .5cc of clear liquid. I think it was easier to see where the veins were bc she is white and i used a flashlight so i could see through her skin, she didn't bleed at all. I put her in clean water after and let her wake up, then put her back in her hospital tank with kanaplex. Her skin shrank back to normal and she is still a little bloated but much less so, i might have to do the procedure one more time since i can see she still has some fluid in there but not nearly as much i think i'll give it a few weeks though to see what happens before doing it again.

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CindiL said:
So I put all the girls back in the tank but they are all laying around like they are tired they have been in there for 24 hours and have been chasing each other around a bit but idk why they aren't swimming around like normal. Also my male betta got fin rot and I'm treating him with kanaplex and no success I already did 3 doses and he's not getting better actually it's getting worse and now he has white fungus on the tips. I guess I'm just not good at fish keeping idk why nothing I do is working

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you add the kanaplex to this tank? With some meds you need to increase the aeration. Adding an air stone may help.

As for the male, I usually recommend increasing the frequency of the water changes as a first line of defense against fin rot.

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aquaphobia said:
Did you add the kanaplex to this tank? With some meds you need to increase the aeration. Adding an air stone may help.

As for the male, I usually recommend increasing the frequency of the water changes as a first line of defense against fin rot.
No the female tank is only aquarium salt and stress coat bc I thought they were all better from being in quarantine for about a month. For the male should I give fungus cure or jungle fungus?

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Were they all in quarantine together? I would stop adding salt, too. It's really not as effective as modern medicine, provided you know what you're treating for.

I would start by increasing the frequency of water changes for the male. Once a day or every other day for at least a week to see if that sets him on the road to recovery. No additives other than Prime or whatever water treatment you use.

Luisa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aquaphobia said:
Were they all in quarantine together? I would stop adding salt, too. It's really not as effective as modern medicine, provided you know what you're treating for.

I would start by increasing the frequency of water changes for the male. Once a day or every other day for at least a week to see if that sets him on the road to recovery. No additives other than Prime or whatever water treatment you use.
He is still really bad I used jungle fungus for 3 treatments and no improvement on the fin rot. He now has a swim bladder issue and is floating on the top on his side. How can I help the fin rot and swim bladder at the same time?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom