Sick fantail goldfish

ashley52388

Hey there my name is Ashley, I am new to this site so hard with me, I am trying to get some help
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallon HOSPITAL TANK
How long has the tank been running?3 DAYS
Does it have a filter? NO BECAUSE I HAVE MEDICATION IN IT
Does it have a heater? NO
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Just the fish and I have an air stone bubbler , because it's a hospital tank

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a day so far
How much of the water do you change? 25 percent
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? Test strips and ammonia kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: probably an 8.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? 7 little pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Wardley pellet food
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost two years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Five days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Dropsy -bloated- pinecone scales
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No too much, still eats but seems to be gulping alot

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
My fantail I believe has come down with dropsy, it still eats and acts semi normal but my problem is the hospital tank is VERY HIGH in ammonia. I am treating the dropsy with Maracyn two. I put water conditioner and epsom salt in the water. I don't have the filter cartridge in because of the medicine. I just need to know how I can get the ammonia down since I can't put a filter in and also not sure if I can use any kind of ammonia reducer with the medication I am using.

AquaticQueen

Welcome to Fishlore.
If what you are describing is dropsy, then I'm very sorry to say but there is not much hope for him. Most fish that get dropsy don't survive. I'm praying for him.

I would do a 70% water change immediately. 8.0ppm is a dangerously high level of ammonia. I would continue doing 60% water changes daily. The ammonia might not actually be at 8.0ppm though. Do you shake the ammonia test solution bottle? Shaking the bottle can completely throw off your test result.

Stop dosing the tank with Epsom salt. It will irritate his gills. Start doing 10-15 minute daily salt baths instead.

Fast him for 3 days and then try feeding him some daphnia. The daphnia will help whatever is in his system clear out.

Also, as a side not, to prevent this from happening in the future, only feed him 3-5 pellets. Overfeeding is probably what caused the dropsy.

ashley52388

1601223930340951233886585923832.jpgthis is the picture of the water from ammonia testing...my fish is now starting to get stuck upside down, I am doing the water change now I did not feed her today. I just wish I could save my fish. Ammonia so high on top of dropsy...doesn't seem too good. The water is also murky looking, could that be from the ammonia being high?

AquaticQueen

ashley52388 said:
1601223930340951233886585923832.jpgthis is the picture of the water from ammonia testing...my fish is now starting to get stuck upside down, I am doing the water change now I did not feed her today. I just wish I could save my fish. Ammonia so high on top of dropsy...doesn't seem too good. The water is also murky looking, could that be from the ammonia being high?
Did you shake the ammonia test bottle before testing? Keep up with those water changes. I would do another 60% water change tomorrow. Do you have SeaChem Prime? If not, then I highly suggest you get some. It detoxifies ammonia.

Top Bottom