Sick Dwarf Rainbowfish?

Fleischer

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello!

I bought a bunch of Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish today, yet it appears the shopkeeper gave me one that seems sick (somehow I always end up with a sick/injured fish when I buy). The fish has these bulges on both sides as well.

dwarf2_by_sinistereternity-dcmv2nb.png

dwarf1_by_sinistereternity-dcmv2o5.png

Would you have an idea what it is and how to treat this?
Could it be "Mycobacteriosis" ? I hear medication for that is hard to come by?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think the problem is fish TB. The lumps look like Lymphocyistis, a viral growth. There is no cure, but it's usually not fatal, just unsightly. I think it's awful that your LFS sold such an unhealthy fish.
Don't hesitate to hand pick every fish you want to buy and have the pet store employee feed the fish you want and watch it eat.
I'd take that one back. You really need to pull the fish out asap Lymphocystis is mildly contagious.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, since this was the manager I thought he'd be a bit more cautious so I trusted him buuuut...eh.

I wanted this fish to go along all the others in the fish tank, but if that's contagious then I suppose I can't... ops:
I have other fish in the tank like a Chocolate Gourami, Pearl Gourami, some cherry barbs, two Kuhlis, 3 Corys, some pencil fish, half-beaks, the healthier Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, a Megalechis Thoracata (Spotted hoplo) and a Peacock Spiny Eel.

I hesitate to take the fish back because he probably won't be taken care of, I feel kinda bad for it.
Right now he is isolated and he does eat at least, but other than taking him back, is there anything else I could do that may help its condition (even just a bit)?

Fleischer

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here are some extra pictures- I'm not sure what it is I'm seeing; it looks like blood/flesh?

dwarf4_by_sinistereternity-dcmvxxn.png
dwarf3_by_sinistereternity-dcmvxxx.png

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's good you have the Rainbow isolated. The new pics really show the severity of the disease. IMO the Lumps indicate a viral infection, as already noted. I would advise against putting the affected fish back into the display tank. There are other fish viruses besides the relatively harmless Lymphocystis, that are deadly such as H. Septicemia. That virus causes bloody streaks on the skin and lumps. There is no cure for viruses.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Poor fish
Then I suppose I'll just keep him in a bigger place anyway, I feel better this way
I could have sworn sellers were meant to put fish in quarantine before displaying them, it doesn't seem like this store does it often

Thank you anyway, at least I learnt things!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom