Sick Dwarf Gourami

abrewka

I was hoping someone could help em figure out what’s wrong with my dwarf gourami. He has a red lesion around his mouth on the left side and in the photos you can see he tends to lay in the corner for awhile.
I thought maybe it could be DGD or DGIV, but neither seem to really fit very well. The water levels are good, checked them this morning, and again about half an hour ago.
I’ve got the little guy separated for now, but I’m not sure what else I can do.

JettsPapa

Welcome to the forum. That looks to me like it could be the result of an injury. Are there other gouramis in the tank with him?

Dunk2

abrewka said:
I was hoping someone could help em figure out what’s wrong with my dwarf gourami. He has a red lesion around his mouth on the left side and in the photos you can see he tends to lay in the corner for awhile.
I thought maybe it could be DGD or DGIV, but neither seem to really fit very well. The water levels are good, checked them this morning, and again about half an hour ago.
I’ve got the little guy separated for now, but I’m not sure what else I can do.
What other fish are in the tank?

abrewka

JettsPapa said:
Welcome to the forum. That looks to me like it could be the result of an injury. Are there other gouramis in the tank with him?
Yes. I have 5 total. They all were bought at the same time about 6 months ago. Got along fine since then.

Dunk2

I agree with JettsPapa. It’s likely an injury as a result of aggression.

Although it might take a while (I don’t think I’ve ever heard it taking 6 months), more than 1 Dwarf Gourami in the same tank often doesn’t end well.

AggressiveAquatics

abrewka said:
Yes. I have 5 total. They all were bought at the same time about 6 months ago. Got along fine since then.
They’ve probably matured since then and have gotten aggressive towards each other. I’d separate them ASAP

abrewka

I
Dunk2 said:
I agree with JettsPapa. It’s likely an injury as a result of aggression.

Although it might take a while (I don’t think I’ve ever heard it taking 6 months), more than 1 Dwarf Gourami in the same tank often doesn’t end well.
I appreciate the feedback. They definitely were younger when I got them. Store lady said they would do well together as a group. Last time I listen to them. Been wanting to get another tank anyways.

JettsPapa

abrewka said:
As you've probably gathered from the other responses, male dwarf gouramis will rarely co-exist in the same tank as they reach sexual maturity. If you can't separate them the likely outcome will be that the aggression will continue until this one dies, then the others will start attacking the next weakest until it dies, then repeat until there's only one left.

Dunk2

abrewka said:
I

I appreciate the feedback. They definitely were younger when I got them. Store lady said they would do well together as a group. Last time I listen to them. Been wanting to get another tank anyways.
A lesson most of us have learned. . . Many (not all) fish store employees are there to sell fish. Period.

abrewka

I watch them pretty closely and haven’t seen anyone be super aggressive. I had a molly and he was really the only one. But this sore has been on the gourami since before I got the molly so I knew it wasn’t him. Took the molly back to the store since I didn’t have another tank to put him in.
the rest of the gouramis have been pretty chill though? Any possibilities it could be sick?
he was doing fine for awhile but he lays around like that for some time.
he’s also the only one that has a sore. The other 4 are all healthy with no lesions or sores
I’ll look into separating them. Thank you for the feedback!

AggressiveAquatics

abrewka said:
I watch them pretty closely and haven’t seen anyone be super aggressive. I had a molly and he was really the only one. But this sore has been on the gourami since before I got the molly so I knew it wasn’t him. Took the molly back to the store since I didn’t have another tank to put him in.
the rest of the gouramis have been pretty chill though? Any possibilities it could be sick?
he’s also the only one that has a sore. The other 4 are all healthy with no lesions or sores
Do you have any sharp decor in the tank that he could have hurt himself on like plastic plants or something?

Dunk2

abrewka said:
You’re welcome. Maybe just out of curiosity, what size tank?

abrewka

AggressiveAquatics said:
Do you have any sharp decor in the tank that he could have hurt himself on like plastic plants or something?
I did when I noticed the sore. I recently removed all the fake plants about a week ago.
Dunk2 said:
You’re welcome. Maybe just out of curiosity, what size tank?
It’s a 10 gallon.

Dunk2

abrewka said:
I did when I noticed the sore. I recently removed all the fake plants about a week ago.

It’s a 10 gallon.
Odds are pretty high that it’s a result of aggression.

I‘ve told this story far too many times on FL. I tried 2 male Dwarf Gourami at one point in a 75 gallon tank with a fair number of hiding spots. It lasted a day before I had to return one of them.

abrewka

Dunk2 said:
Odds are pretty high that it’s a result of aggression.

I‘ve told this story far too many times on FL. I tried 2 male Dwarf Gourami at one point in a 75 gallon tank with a fair number of hiding spots. It lasted a day before I had to return one of them.
****. That sucks. I grew really attached to them all.
good lesson though and glad I found this page.
Guess I’m probably going to return them minus one.

DoubleDutch

abrewka said:
I

Don't get the other tanks or fish from there.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, I am in the process of writing an article about Dwarf Gourami and would like to use the picture posted in this thread...

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards, Joshua.

abrewka

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, I am in the process of writing an article about Dwarf Gourami and would like to use the picture posted in this thread...

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards, Joshua.
For sure go ahead!

jinjerJOSH22

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom