Sick Dwarf Gourami Help

1. Speedy Well Known Member Member

Hello everybody
    I'm having a problem with my Dwarf Gourami in my 10 gallon quarantine tank.
    I got her 3 weeks ago and she seemed very healthy she was eating like a pig and swimming like all was well accept I noticed about a week ago all of the 4 fish where darting and flicking off of decor in the tank so I decided to treat them with Prazi-pro which I added into the filter on Thursday after a 25% water change.

The next day it took care of the flicking and darting but that is when my Gourami got sick. The tank is cycled and I checked the water for ammonia,nitrite and nitrate and they all where 0 today but I went ahead and changed 25% of the water anyway and added the prazi-pro into the filter once again to make sure all the flukes are gone.

All the other fish seem fine but the Gourami has now stop eating and doesn't swim around at all. When I first got her like I said she was swimming around like crazy and eating everything she could find.

She just stays either at the top of the tank or on the bottom. When she is at the top she has her nose up but not gasping for air or anything she will get a gulp every now and again and I don't see any sign's of illness on her anywhere.

Are Dwarf Gourami's sensitive to Prazi-pro by any chance I couldn't find anything on the net about it. Does Prazi-pro deplete water oxygen? I think I will go ahead and put some more air in there just in case. But I don't know what else it could be. I'm afraid I'm going to lose her.
    Please help

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, most meds utilize oxygen in the water. However, adding air will not help the fish as it breathes air.

Do/did the fish have gill flukes?

3. Speedy Well Known Member Member

Oh wow I didn't know that about Gourami's. Are they like Betta's?

I don't think so there is no rapid gill movement or gasping for air.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, they are cousins. All anabantoids can breathe air.

Did you see any parasites on the fish?

5. Speedy Well Known Member Member

I knew that about betta's but I had no idea about the Gourami's of course I have only kept one Gourami in my fish keeping and that was when I was a teenager.

That proves your never to old to learn new things.....;)

No I do not see anything accept I have noticed her color is different around her head like a darker gray. She is not any better and the only thing I can think of is she is not liking the Prazipro. I wonder if it will mess up the tests kits for the ammonia ect. Not showing accurate readings.

She is almost standing straight up with her nose to the sky and looks weak I don't think she is going to make it. Things doesn't look good at all for her I thought about going with an antibiotic but I will have to find one that I can use with the prazipro and that will not mess up the cycle.

I hate to stop with the prazipro in the middle of treatment but I would if I knew that was the problem. Have you ever had problem with prazipro and Gourami's?

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Okay, my point is that you are treating fish with meds for conditions they may not even have. You are treating the fish for external parasites when there are no external parasites visible. I don't have any experience with that med, but I would stop using it immediately and do a massive water change.

7. Speedy Well Known Member Member

I was actually treating the fish for flukes b/c they where darting and flicking off of decor in the tank for almost 2 weeks.

Not sure what else it could be unless it is early signs of ich or velvet.

I think I will go ahead and do a 50% water change to try and save her I did a 25% water change yesterday and nothing changed for her but lets hope it helps this time.

I will see how it go's thanks so much for your help.

Here is a picture of her poor little girl....

Attached Files:

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not saying that they don't need to be treated, but if it's simply ich then the course of action would be different than if it were velvet or flukes. You have to let things progress sometimes so that you can know what you are dealing with.

Raising the temperature is a way of figuring it out faster. Warmer water speeds up life cycles, so if there is a low level infestation (as can occur with ich - in the gills), it will become visible. HOWEVER, some conditions, like columnaris (I think), will kill the fish very quickly in warm water, so if you ever suspect it, DO NOT heat up the tank.

Whenever you do something that has an immediate negative impact like that, if at all possible you want to undo whatever you did. If the fish started tanking once you put the meds in, then a big (80%) water change and putting the carbon in the filter is necessary. It could be that that med is the right one for the job, but that your gourami is sensitive to it, in which case you'll need to find an alternative.

9. Speedy Well Known Member Member

Thank you....I'm going to try and save her with the water changes and get the prazipro out I will also add some carbon in the filter to help.

I will wait and see what happens. If the flicking and darting come back I will find something else that hopefully will work and that will not mess with the cycle.

I will post follow up if you are interested in knowing...Thanks again

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Carbon will remove the remnants of the medication.

Glancing, as it's called, is a natural thing. In my experience fish will do it from time to time, as if they had an itch and scratched it. It's good that you noticed it, but keep an eye out. Watch for other fish doing it, and for the frequency. A random occurrence is not something to be alarmed about, but if multiple fish are doing it and they are doing it regularly, then there is a problem brewing. Or if one fish is doing it over and over again.

Of course we are interested in knowing how things turn out :)

11. afremont Initiate Member

Well I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'd like to comment. Praziquantel is also for internal parasites and it's considered safe enough to be used prophylacticaly.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you for shedding light on this :)

13. Speedy Well Known Member Member

I was just saying that the symptoms where similar and since I didn't see anything on the outside of the fish anywhere the only thing that made any sense was flukes. Yeah I know what you mean I will keep a close eye on them and see what happens.

Well, I done a 50% water change and put some carbon in filter but she is still not looking good. Instead of staying at the top now she is laying on the bottom and go's to the top every now and again to take a gulp it looks like then she go's back to the bottom she is weak and sometimes go's to one side or the other when she is laying on the bottom. :( I also noticed something new she is now breathing hard.

I also got out my big magnifying glass and looked her over still didn't see anything on her anywhere. Poor little girl I'm afraid she is not going to make it.:'( If she does I will be very surprised.

14. Speedy Well Known Member Member

I lost my little Dwarf Gourami....:'( She went down hill fast she was dead at 1:30 today. I buried her in our butterfly bush garden....