Sick Dwarf Gourami Help! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Hannah M, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Hannah MValued MemberMember

Hello!

My dwarf gourami is in bad shape. He has no colour at all and has a droop in his tail - he isn't swimming so much as drifting. Following the sick fish template below:

What is the water volume of the tank? 87 litres/20 gal
    How long has the tank been running? 2 years
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 27degC
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 DG, 1 pearl gourami, 10 harlequin rasbora, 10 kuhli loach. Inverts: 1 assassin snail, about a million MTS.

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? 2 -3 weekly
    How much of the water do you change? 25%
    What do you use to treat your water? Tap water safe, some plant fertilizer
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I try to vacuum substrate but as I have sand it is difficult.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? API master test
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0.25
    pH: 7.5

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Every other day
    How much do you feed your fish? 3 grazing disks and a sprinkle of micro pellet.
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra wafer mix pellet and NT labs nano tropical
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Occasional frozen bloodworm.

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? 1.5 years approx
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? He hasn't been right for a few months but is much worse for approx 1 week.
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lethargy, colour loss, tail droop.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Colour loss, originally boisterous, building bubble nests, now lethargic, hides.

Explain your emergency situation in detail: I have now quarantined the DG but only have a very small quarantine tank. His lethargy is much worse and swimming is laboured.

Attached Files:

2. Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

It seems in the picture he has a pink-red spot above his gills behind his head?

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Just me, or does that look more like a honey gourami?
    Could be a case of dwarf gourami disease or iridovirus, but I'm not positive about that since this looks like a honey gourami to me

4. Crimson_687Well Known MemberMember

His color is very faded, but you can still make out the copper-colored bands of a dwarf gourami

5. Hannah MValued MemberMember

He's definitely DG. When I got him he was beautiful, blue and copper. He made it through the night which is more than I expected we expecting.

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

4th case of DGD in 2 days. It is dying (sorry).

7. Hannah MValued MemberMember

I suspected DGD to be honest. Do you recommend I euthanase? I have clove oil to do it humanely

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

The only right thing to do Hannah. Sorry !

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. Hannah MValued MemberMember

I have a pearl in the tank also. Is there any precautions I should take or will it definitely not infect other gourami species?

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

There is a lot unknown about the virus and when / how fish catch it.

My understanding uptill now is that they get it during being bred / being raised and it is DG-specific to have these destructive outcome.

There are a lot of other species that have a specific type of Iridovirus but those seem not to be contagious to others. Angels, Rams, Neons, etc...

Short : I think the Pearl is safe and there isn't anything you can do otherwise than normal waterchanges / hygiene.