Sick dwarf blue gourami

Davidpds

Reaction score
I purchased a dwarf blue GouramI maybe three or four months ago and he has been doing just fine. I thought it might’ve been acting weird the last few days. It seem to stay more towards the bottom of the tank. Today I noticed it behind the filter intake at the top of the tank. It’s barely moving and all it does is sit there and breathe at the very surface of the water. Help

Attachments

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Davidpds said:
I purchased a dwarf blue GouramI maybe three or four months ago and he has been doing just fine. I thought it might’ve been acting weird the last few days. It seem to stay more towards the bottom of the tank. Today I noticed it behind the filter intake at the top of the tank. It’s barely moving and all it does is sit there and breathe at the very surface of the water. Help
Hi, first we should rule out water parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Temperature, pH?
How big is the aquarium and what else is in it?

OP
D

Davidpds

Reaction score
HI thanks for the response. I don’t have an at home test kit but temperature is ok and the parameters were good when last checked. He shares a 20 tall with 4 serpae tetras, 2 platys and 3 albino Cory cats.

NickGNz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Davidpds said:
HI thanks for the response. I don’t have an at home test kit but temperature is ok and the parameters were good when last checked. He shares a 20 tall with 4 serpae tetras, 2 platys and 3 albino Cory cats.
Serpae Tetras can be nippy, especially with long finned fish. Have you noticed them chasing the Gourami?

OP
D

Davidpds

Reaction score
Nope the serpaes are only slightly nippy with each other from what I’ve seen. However I forgot to mention his tail fin does look slightly torn now.

NickGNz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess would be that he has been hiding if the Tetras have been nipping his tail fin. Water parameters would help to rule out any other issues though.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We can't discount water quality then :(
Stress is a big cause of illness, if they have been then this could be the cause. However if it's fin rot that would point towards water quality again.
Since we're unsure, water changes are a good idea :)

OP
D

Davidpds

Reaction score
I do a 25% water change every other week. And just to be safe I did a 20% change this morning after I noticed this. The weird thing is that this just stared happening and he been in there with the serpaes since I got him.

OP
D

Davidpds

Reaction score
NickGNz said:
My guess would be that he has been hiding if the Tetras have been nipping his tail fin. Water parameters would help to rule out any other issues though.
I'm not sure if he was hiding behind the filter intake or if it’s that he’s not getting air. The intake is right next to where the water comes out and he’s right at the surface. There are several places to hide by the bottom.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Davidpds said:
I do a 25% water change every other week. And just to be safe I did a 20% change this morning after I noticed this. The weird thing is that this just stared happening and he been in there with the serpaes since I got him.
Imo water changes should be weekly, ideally closer to 50%, 25% should be fine weekly but more would be better. I lean more to this being a water quality issue. There are things we don't test for and water changes replace important minerals.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I usually do a 25% once a week and one 50% at the end of the month and everybody is fine (however my tank is palnted).

OP
D

Davidpds

Reaction score
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Imo water changes should be weekly, ideally closer to 50%, 25% should be fine weekly but more would be better. I lean more to this being a water quality issue. There are things we don't test for and water changes replace important minerals.
His color is also kind of faded. Would it make a recovery With proper water quality

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Davidpds said:
His color is also kind of faded. Would it make a recovery With proper water quality
Hopefully, Dwarf GouramI don't have the best track record but improving water quality should give him the best chance :)
I wish you luck.

OP
D

Davidpds

Reaction score
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hopefully, Dwarf GouramI don't have the best track record but improving water quality should give him the best chance :)
I wish you luck.
Thanks. Are there any other possibilities just to know?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Davidpds said:
Thanks. Are there any other possibilities just to know?
It could be stress from the Serpaes, or it could genuinely be about a hundred things if i'm honest but this seems the most likely. More frequent water changes covers a lot of the bases though.
You're welcome :)

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
It could be stress from the Serpaes, or it could genuinely be about a hundred things if i'm honest but this seems the most likely. More frequent water changes covers a lot of the bases though.
You're welcome :)
My sepaes (2 everyone else died) did fine with my opaline.

OP
D

Davidpds

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
My sepaes (2 everyone else died) did fin with my opaline.
what did you do? Did it effect your gouramis health?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oops, fin=fine. :facepalm: :oops: They were each in their own world. Dint even notice each other.

New Threads