Sick Dragon Goby-Help!

1. irishh7 Initiate Member

View attachment CIMG2211.JPGView attachment CIMG2213.JPG

Hi! We have a Dragon Goby fish that is about 4 years old. He is in a 38 gallon tank by himself. The tank has a cave and a log for him to hide in, several plastic plants, sand on the bottom, and a hood. Several months ago he developed a swelling on the right eye. We treated it with MelaFix and water changes. Since that didn't seem to really help, we began a treatment with a more natural product called Artemiss 100% Natural Expellant for Bacterial Diseases. That also didn't seem to help much so we began treating him with Mardel Maracyne Two and aquarium salt on Wednesday, June 8, 2016. So far, there doesn't seem to be much improvement except that he is swimming around a lot more and being more social. We realize that this is an extreme case of what we think is popeye, so it may take longer to treat. Throughout this whole time his appetite has been about the same. I have attached photos of him (the best I could get). Are we right that this is popeye or could it be something else? Also, what is the best thing to try next if this current treatment doesn't help?

2. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have no idea but I would suspect a tumor of some sort rather than pop eye. Wait for people to come on that have experience with the species. In any case I also wanted to say welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. I do hope you can find a cause and cure for him. Keep us posted and I will be following the thread....Alison:)

3. irishh7 Initiate Member

Thank you for the quick reply! We thought about a tumor also. :( Hoping that is not the case. Not even sure if there is anything you can do for that.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

5. irishh7 Initiate Member

Yes, I will try to get a better picture(s). Also, will get the water parameters. The swelling has some redness on it (not sure if that shows in the pictures). Maybe that is from him bumping into things in the tank.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

His tank is too small for him. Is it fresh or brackish?

7. irishh7 Initiate Member

It is a brackish fish. We have had him in this tank for 2 years (he is 4 years old). I have the water readings but they may be off because of the medicine in the water and having removed the filter. PH - 8.4, Temp. - 78 degrees F, Ammonia - .40ppm, Nitrites - 1ppm, Nitrates - 60ppm, Salinty - 10, Specific Gravity - 1.007. I am still trying to get another picture(s) of him. He is sleeping in his cave right now.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have ammonia and nitrites, both of which are very harmful. I'd do some immediate, large water changes to get those lower.

9. irishh7 Initiate Member

OK, thank you. Can those reading be misleading because of the medicine in the water and the lack of the filter (had to take out for the medicine)? What should the readings for the ammonia and the nitrites be? Could this be a possible cause for his condition? Would reversing these readings possibly help to heal him?

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Why did you take the filter out? What are you treating with?

I don't think the tests would be misleading.

Ammonia and nitrites should be zero in a cycled tank. Not sure if it's causing it (need a better pic and need to figure out what is wrong), but it's certainly not helping, and likely making it worse.

11. irishh7 Initiate Member

As stated in my original post, we are treating him with Mardel Maracyne Two and aquarium salt. We thought this was an extreme case of popeye. The instructions say to remove the filter so that the medicine is not absorbed by it.

12. Kwig Well Known Member Member

You should only dump the carbon. You still need your good bacteria. Second the immediate water changes

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd stop using aquarium salt. That likely isn't helping, especially in a brackish tank.

http:///AquariumMedication2.html#minocycline
    Take a read through that. Sounds like it wouldn't be recommended in brackish tanks.

I couldn't find anything about it killing the beneficial bacteria in the filter. Usually when adding meds, you remove any carbon so that doesn't absorb the meds. By removing your filter, you took away the beneficial bacteria converting toxic ammonia and nitrites into safer nitrates, and now you have ammonia and nitrites and also no water movement.

Put the filter back on and keep up with water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites below 0.25 ppm. Stop both Maracyn 2 and aquarium salt. Once you get a better pic, we can help you decide how best to treat.

14. irishh7 Initiate Member

My mistake - i meant the carbon, not the filter. Still trying to get better pictures.

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Okay, well that's good. Your tank still isn't cycled though, and you'll know it's cycled when you have zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and above zero nitrates. Keep up on water changes until it's cycled, then you can go back to weekly changes.

16. irishh7 Initiate Member

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Still kinda hard to see, but I don't think that's popeye. It looks like a tumor, and I don't think there's anything you can do. If he's not eating, I'd euthanize him. He looks pretty bad.

18. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Tumors can be benign or cancer . If it was an infection or parasite I would think he would have symptoms of not eating or moving around the tank which makes me think tumor. In a lot of people and animals tumors stretch the skin plus the extra blood supply that the tumors require for growth cause the redness to show through the thinning skin. The only thing I can come up with is a vet that treats fish , or just let him live his life as long as he is eating and swimming around and doesn't appear stressed. Alison

19. irishh7 Initiate Member

Thank you. He is still eating. This just seemed to come out of nowhere. Could it have been caused by the water quality? Do Goby's seem to be more susceptible to these types of tumors? Should we stop the medicine then?

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would stop the medicine, yes. It's not recommended for brackish tanks anyway. I wouldn't think it would be caused by the water quality, but that's certainly not helping. You still need to get ammonia and nitrites under control.