Sick Discus, Unsure As To Why Or What He Has. Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lucyn, Apr 2, 2019.

1. LucynValued MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    29 Gallons QT
    How long has the tank been running?
    About 2 months.
    Does it have a filter?
    It has a Aquaclear 300 that I always keep cycled for QT tanks, owned for over a year. Also a Aquatop 25 gallon rated sponge filter.
    Does it have a heater?
    One 300 Watt and one 200 watt heater.
    What is the water temperature?
    84.5-86
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    8 Discus 2-3 inch Discus
    Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    33% Every other day, everday if I have spare time
    How much of the water do you change?
    33%
    What do you use to treat your water?
    API dechlorinater
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    Vaccum, it's bare bottom.
    *Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    Of course
    What do you use to test the water?
    API Master Test kit and strips.
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 10-15 ppm
    pH: 7.2-7.4

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    Twice a day
    How much do you feed your fish?
    Enough for 5 minutes
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Omega One Pellets, Flakes, Bug Bite pellets, Tetramin Granuels, Blood worms, Mysis Shrimp, Bio-Pure
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    yes
    Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    6 Weeks
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    A few days ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    Very black
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    Praziquantel, thinking about Erythromycin and Artemis
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    No
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    A lot more reclusive, used to be the "Alpha", of the tank, now to find him hiding all the time, making as little effort to move as possible. He's black, I don't notice anything wrong other than that physically. His poop is normal, brown, caught him pooping the other day.

2. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Well first thing I see is 8 2” discus in a 29. That’s never going to work. Sorry don’t want to come off rude But they need a minimum of 60gal now and a 110 to 200 when grown.
    Black fish is usually from stress. Best to remove that fish from that tank and put in its own 30 for a few days. If it doesn’t start to color back up you may want to medicate. Pictures help.

3. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Can we get some pics please?
    First thing I'd do is up the amount you change to 50%
    Even for just a qt tank, 8 of them in a 29gal will not help matters at all
    Another thing is, at that size you need to feed them ~5 times a day

4. LucynValued MemberMember

I could just put them all in my empty 125 soon and see if it improves? It's not long term, it's only temporary to easier dose meds. I know typically it's not practical, but I've seen and done it multiple times with no issues. I check parameters every day and there's never a slight amount of Nitrites or Ammonia, everyone else seems very happy.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  5. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

You have a 125 gal tank to put the fish in? Is there water in it?

6. LucynValued MemberMember

Not at the moment, no. It's a sticky situation where I may have to wait a week to be able to put them in it unexpectedly. I was thinking about uping the water changes to see if he improves. All I have other than that is a 10 gallon, which I don't think would help him at all.

7. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Absolutely! You've nursed discus before?
    Either way, a 125 will be so many times better for them
    It might help to take maybe 2 out of the 29 and put them in the 10. Not sure about that though. @86 ssinit ?

8. LucynValued MemberMember

Yes they weren't mine but the people were gone away on a trip for a week and asked if I could help, almost the exact situation with tank size and amount of fish. And if you think it'd be more beneficial to put him, and another one that seems to be stressed the most (even though it'd be hard to choose because everyone else seems fine), I could definitely do that. I honestly think this was a bullying situation, because his behavior has completely changed out of nowhere, and I've had them for almost 2 months now, pre-medicating Praziquantel, Erythromycin and Cupramine.

9. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Can we see some pics of the fish?

10. LucynValued MemberMember

I’ve tried to keep lights off as much as possible, he actually looks a lot better today, maybe that’ll help over time. He’s definitely still not feeling too hot, though.

Attached Files:

11. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Is that just glare, or does one have a white eye?

12. LucynValued MemberMember

That's just the flash from my phone, no foggy eye haha. I just can't physically see anything wrong with him, which I why I've concluded I think it's bullying, my other male must have put him in his place or something? He's been staying in that position and location in the photo all day, he'll come out to eat at the bottom but that's about it, I noticed at night he comes out.

13. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Is that just glare, or does one have a white eye?

14. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

He just looks stressed. May be bullying may be to many fish. Probably be much better in bigger tank.

15. LucynValued MemberMember

I'm gonna try and get them in that 125 asap, hopefully very soon.

16. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Like I said earlier those fish need to be in at least a 60gal now. As nikm128 said they need to be fed much more than twice a day and 50% wc daily.

17. LucynValued MemberMember

Will do, thank you