Sick DG

1. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

1466341736499.jpg 1466341752393.jpg

Ideas for how to treat?

2. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

As you wait for more advice, I would do a partial WC. Fresh water does wonders.

3. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

I have been daily. prime in the morning then 75% at night. Nitrites spike is my cause for sure. Salt I heard is bad so I'm in limbo on what to do.

4. Charles556 Member Member

I'd look into Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus (DGIV). It's very common among Colisa lalia, and one of the symptoms is abdomial swelling. It can also be triggered by poor water quality, as supported by your statement about the nitrite spike.

Here's a link that describes DGIV: http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/fish-viral-disease.aspx

Unfortunately, the disease is completely untreatable and fatal. Hopefully, your DG doesn't have DGIV and is afflicted with something far less serious. Keep up the water changes, like AmazonPassion suggested. Have you noticed any other symptoms, like white, stringy poop or difficulty with swimming?

5. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

he swims to eat and swims around very little

he got a pea yesterday

6. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

His waste looked normal I just notice. Epsom salt bath for 2o mins?

7. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

so I need to treat my whole tank now?

8. Charles556 Member Member

No. It only affects dwarf gouramis.

9. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

10. Charles556 Member Member

Definitely do not use either product with your DG. The extract used in the meds is deadly to anabantoids because it sticks to the inside of their labyrinth organ, thereby suffocating them.

Best thing to do now is to keep your water as clean as possible. Hopefully your fish doesn't have DGIV and instead just had an internal parasite of some sort. Consider looking into Hikari Prazipro or API General Cure.