Sick DG. Need help with diagnosis and next steps

1. YoungClayB Member Member

Hi everyone. Ive had a DG (named Tommy) for about 5-6 weeks and over the past several days, he has gotten really sick. I think the sickness was caused by ammonia levels of around .25ppm over the course of 3-4 days. Yesterday I did a 40% water change and introduced some established filter media from another tank and I tested the water this morning and then again this evening and ammonia and nitrite are both zero. PH is around 6.8. Water temp is 77-78 F.

The day before he started to get sick, he was swimming his typical DG pattern back and forth across the back of the tank and also eating really well. Then the next day, he stopped eating and just kind of hung out near the surface. The next day, I noticed that his head had started to change color - it was weird, it almost looked bruised. Then yesterday, he started spending most of his time on the bottom - obviously having trouble swimming and only doing so to get to the surface for a gasp of air. Today, his head is almost completely dark grey and he has developed a sore on top of his head.

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? Does he have a chance or should I humanely put an end to his suffering?

Oh also forgot to mention. He is in a 37 gallon tank along with 2 Platys and a Rubber Lipped Pleco.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Sorry to hear that your fish is ill.

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Gouramis to Freshwater Fish Disease section of the forum.

Hold on for more responses and best wishes for your fish!

Ken

3. YoungClayB Member Member

Sadly, Tommy the Gourami didn't make it.

4. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'm very sorry to hear that. :(