Sick, Depressed or Fins to Thick

1. bibashful Initiate Member

I have had my Betta for 19 months now. I use to have 2 Betta in seperate bowls and they use to flare at each other all day. They both were very healthy fish. Unfortunately, my niece cause one to die and now my baby 'Blue'; that's his name; he just lies there all day and barely moves. I don't know if he is depressed. Can Bettas get depressed? Is he missing the other fish? And if so, what can I do to help him?

I noticed that his fins are really long and thick. He seems to have a hard time moving them. I recently purchased another Betta in hopes of him starting to flare up and swim around more; which he does, but not for long periods of time.

What can I do to fix this?

2. Durbkat Member Member

Well the first thing one have done wrong is let them flare all the time. Your stressing them out, which kills a fish. And what you can do is only let them see each other 15 to 30 mins a day. And what size bowl is this?

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If you've had him for 19 months you are obviously doing something right. ;)
    Now is his abdomen swollen? Does he have any symptoms other than lethergy? Bettas are not a long lived fish, about 2-3 yrs I think. Keep us posted.
    Carol

4. bibashful Initiate Member

It's the largest size fish bowl. Like the Gold fish bowls... Thanks for the advice

5. bibashful Initiate Member

No, he has no other symptoms other than lethargy. I was also thinking his clock might be ticking.. thanks

6. Evan1 Initiate Member

Curious, how did your niece cause your fish to die? :p

7. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

My betta goes through stages of being hyper and then quiet. Sometimes he looks SOOOO mnoody! I think it might be to do with mating times etc