Sick Dalmation Molly! Help

1. ~Fanci~ Member Member

Hello, I've only had my tank for about 3 weeks now. One of my Mollies had a pretty bad case of Ich for about a week before I was able to recognize what it was. Before treatment he had begun to have trouble swimming (almost like he was swimming in a comma shape) and was resting at the bottom of the tank quite a bit. I removed the filter cartridge and used meds in the tank for 3 1/2 days and then did a 25% water change last night. The Ich appears to be gone, and he definitely has some strength back BUT his swimming is still irregular and he seems to have a hard time swimming straight, as in he keeps turning vertical with his tail pointed towards the surface. His breathing seems okay, he's not gasping and he is eating well. Any suggestions or help? It makes me feel so sad to look at him when he is swimming this way, is there anything I can try that may help him get back to normal? Could this be a side effect from the Ich?

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

were you able to get the prime yet? that tank needs to be cycled still and the prime will keep them safe with DAILY partial water changes.....
    I would up the temps to 84f for 2 weeks and add an extra bubble rock for more oxygen...leave it there as ich has infested the entire tank...3 days IMO isnt enough time to kill the ich with the meds...and the extra temps wont bother them with the extra air....
    good luck!

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I was readings back on your other threads. Are you still adding salt and Cycle?
    Your molly is probably weak from fighting ich, the meds, and now in an uncycled tank. It's a lot of stress on a fish that's been through so much.

Getting the tank cycled (without the product Cycle) is going to be key in helping your molly.
    What are your readings for ammonia nitrite and nitrates? What test kit are you using?

Best of luck.

4. ~Fanci~ Member Member

Hi, thanks for your response. I am having so much start up trouble, it has been unreal but I'd really like to have a successful tank so I am not giving up yet! I did pick up the Prime on Monday and have been doing daily 25% water changes, using the Prime to treat the water. I also bought some filter medium today (the sm., white bacteria pellets) and have continued putting a capful of "Cycle" in the filter with each water change. Is this too much or should it help the tank to cycle? Any advice on this is so appreciated...I really want my tank cycled! I did a water test last night with the API Master Test Kit and the Nitrites were at .25, Nitrates were 0-5.0, Ammonia .5-1.0 and the pH was around 7.8.

The temperature is at 79f right now. I am not sure what a "bubble rock" (?) is, but I did buy another plant today -Hornwart- for added oxygen and for the Molly babies who are now out of the net and in the main tank. While I was treating for Ich I did raise the temp...the fish seem to be doing much better and I have not seen anymore infection on them but I am keeping an eye out.
    As for the one Molly, he did pass away today. He was swimming very erratic and the other fish was pecking at him. I quarantined him again but the fight was over :(

5. ~Fanci~ Member Member