Sick Corydoras schwartzi

realdebbie

Reaction score
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help. We have 2 schwartzi corys - shown on attached picture. The one on the right in the first picture started showing signs of not being particulary well a few days ago - started hanging in the middle of the tank for extended periods. Tonight I noticed he had strands of white fungus on the top of his head which I removed. We've had fungus in the tank before and it's not been like that. As you'll see from the picture, he looks a bit swollen on the near side - not so prominent on his other side. He also seems to be staying in the same place more than usual. I haven't seen him trying to rub himself on objects and I can't see an obvious parasite.

I'd be really grateful for any advice. He's our oldest fish - about 4 - 5 years old and very special.

Thanks in advance

realdebbie

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the fish passed away. His companion is now very lonely but we're waiting for a week before buying a new one to ensure that the tank is clear. :'(

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Debbie,
If you don't already have a spare tank, you should think about getting one. You can get a 10 gallon tank from WalMart for $8.99, and then just get a cheap sponge filter for filtration. This will be your quarantine/hospital tank. Anytime you introduce new fish to your established tank, you should always quarantine for at least 2 weeks to make sure the new fish don't bring nasties and sickness to your other fish. The sponge filters are pretty cheap, and if you use the tank for medicating a sick fish, it won't break the bank to throw away the filter once the fish is done with treatment. Some folks have a tank set up 24/7 for this very reason, and keep it cycled. Others simply set the stuff aside and use it when they need it, and borry media from another tank to get the biological filter going.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom