sick cory

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if I could get some insight. One of my cories seems to have had a change in the behavior. He doesn't swim around as much-just stays in one spot pretty much the entire day unless I push him around. Also, I have noticed that his breathing is much more rapid-his gills are moving at a much faster rate than normal and as compared to the other cories. Anyone know what's going on?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your water levels (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph) for a spike in anything? It's possible that one of the fish is just more fragile to water conditions then the others and it's just a precursor to others starting to have problems. Also does he seem to have any damage to fins or body that you can see? Or maybe it's not a he... but a she and looks a little round around the belly (i.e. pregnant)? Check your water and let us know if anything seems off other then it's behavior of late.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wolfman21 said:
Hi I was wondering if I could get some insight. One of my cories seems to have had a change in the behavior. He doesn't swim around as much-just stays in one spot pretty much the entire day unless I push him around. Also, I have noticed that his breathing is much more rapid-his gills are moving at a much faster rate than normal and as compared to the other cories. Anyone know what's going on?
Are his gills reddish? Is he staying near the heater, the air stone, somewhere else? do you have a pic you could post?

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
water levels are: pH: 7.1, Nitrite: 0 ppm, Nitrate: 45 ppm. I think the Nitrate's a little high, that could be the problem. What can I do to lower the nitrate level? I did about a 25% water change today, guess it didn't help. Any other suggestions?

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes that is a bit high. It should be more like 10 or 20 max, at which point you need to lower it back to 10ish. To lower it, the best thing is water changes. Just keep up the 25% water changes once per day until it gets under control. Also if you don't mind the chemical route, then you could add some Prime or Amquel+ to the tank to detoxify the nitrates. Not required but may give your cory more time until you can flush out the nitrates with the water changes. Also once you get it under control, remember to do a 25% water change once a week and test your levels to be sure that is enough. If they stay low you can knock it down to once every other week, but be sure to keep an eye on things. Good Luck!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but unfortunately he died last night :'( I'll have to get that nitrate down. I think it may be the water that's in my dorm building because I tested other peoples' water and their nitrate levels were high, but I'll have to do more frequent water changes. Thanks for all the help and advice, though.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that!

By the way, if you suspect the dorm water, have you tried testing it out of the tap for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? It's certainly possible to have things in the tap that cause problems in the tank. Might have to either find another source of water or use treatment chemicals like Prime or Amquel+.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wolfman21 said:
Thanks for the advice but unfortunately he died last night :'( I'll have to get that nitrate down. I think it may be the water that's in my dorm building because I tested other peoples' water and their nitrate levels were high, but I'll have to do more frequent water changes. Thanks for all the help and advice, though.
I'm sorry to hear that. It does sound like you'll need prime for treating your water there to help along with the frequent water changes and maybe you can get your nitrates down.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tested the dorm water today and the nitrate level was around 25, so that is high enough. I'll have to get some treatment stuff to lower the nitrate levels.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait... you had nitrates in your tap water?!?! That's not good at all. Another source of water sounds like a must. Nitrate isn't normally toxic until higher levels, but some fish can't even stand nitrate levels of 25 which is your base. It wouldn't be cheap but RO water from a local store is an option. Other then that, I'm not sure if there is a way to remove nitrate from water yourself. Well other then forking over the cash to buy a RO system, but I'm talking about is there a cheaper route (anyone???)?

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well this isn't good to read at all!
My panda cory is doing the exact same thing.
Doesn't move around much, rapid gill movement.... I did 2 large water changes and it still hasn't gotten any better.
No red gills or anything.

So sorry to hear that your lil cory died.... gosh I really hope mine doesn't go down that path as well.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you have an air stone in the 5 gallon with the corys? the others are all fine? how's his belly & eyes look?

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cories are funny--they can live really long in a tank or they can suddenly die like that if the water is wrong for them. You will probably have to keep an eye on the water parameters.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would say get an airstone in the tank with the cories. This will help them breathe better, maybe get a more powerful pump for a 5 gallon tank, like one for a 10 gallon and that should provide great aeration. Water changes seem to be working for me. Luckily in a couple of months I won't have to worry about dorm water! Got some stuff to keep the nitrate level down, and it really is working. I tested it yesterday and it was at 7 ppm, so that's a lot better than before.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wolfman21 said:
I would say get an airstone in the tank with the cories. This will help them breathe better, maybe get a more powerful pump for a 5 gallon tank, like one for a 10 gallon and that should provide great aeration. Water changes seem to be working for me. Luckily in a couple of months I won't have to worry about dorm water! Got some stuff to keep the nitrate level down, and it really is working. I tested it yesterday and it was at 7 ppm, so that's a lot better than before.
Yea, 7 is good and a lot better than 20. Our tanks tend to run 5-10.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wolfman21 said:
Got some stuff to keep the nitrate level down, and it really is working. I tested it yesterday and it was at 7 ppm, so that's a lot better than before.
Cool, I didn't know they made something to actually remove nitrates from water. Do you remember the name of the product? Not that I have a problem yet, but always nice to know.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are you familiar with Tetra Aqua Safe? It's made by the same company-Tetra. It's called. Tetra Easy Balance with Nitraban. It has nitrate reducing granules (I'm assuming they're bacteria) to lower the nitrogen. I used it and my nitrate level has been at about 7 consitently for the past couple days so is working really well. It also balances the pH and alkalinity levels.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes very familiar with Aqua Safe. I used it before I found out that it didn't protect against ammonia and switched to Prime. That Easy Balance stuff actually looks pretty useful if it in fact does all it says it does (which by your results at least with the nitrates would seem it does at least in that regard). The one thing that I noticed though is that if you are using plastic/silk plants then you must have an airstone in the tank as it increases CO2 levels. Though sounds like it would work great in a tank with live plants. Might have to test that stuff out.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Works well for me, although I have silk and plastic plants, and of course an airstone for the CO2 and just for the fact that it helps the fish breathe easier because there is more Oxygen in the water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom