Help Sick Cory

LisaB

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Please help - I'm sorry to come on here as a complete novice but my husband is at soccer training and his bronze cory is sick - very lethergic and tipping onto its side. Any advice? My husband has all the normal range of tests - what should I check for? The other fish (panda cory and cloud minnows) look fine and to my knowledge the bronze was fine this morning. Please help. Sorry I can't provide any of the other info you might need.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome!

First of all you should check for the basics, Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate. If the tests come back as 0, 0 & 5-20 respectively, we can rule out water issues. I am by no means a bronze cory expert, but these tests are the first step in helping us all help you out, and the first any of us would ask of you if that's OK!

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Lisa, Welcome to Fishlore!

I'm sorry that the cory is sick, they are such sweet little fish

Unfortunetly, we really do need more information. Just answer what questions you can and hopefully it can be worked out

Is the testkit made up of liquid tests, not strips?
What are the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels?

Ammonia and Nitrite should always be zero, while nitrates should be roughly between 5-20.

What size is the tank?

I would do a water change, just to see if it perks him up. Remember to use a dechlorinator and to add water that is approx. the same temp as that already in the tank.

I can't really offer much more, but someone else may be able to help you further

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, test first. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

let us know how you go

LisaB

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank size is (I think) 80 or 90 litres. It has only a few fish as Chris has started putting in live plants this year. Everything has been stable for months and the other fish look fine. The panda cory keeps checking on his buddy which is so nice.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So far it sounds good We can rule out ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Does the fish appear to have any patches or little white specks on its body?

I would still do a small water change, maybe 10-20%, just to see if it helps.

Also, try your best to fill in as much of the aquarium profile info as you can, it's the first place members look when they try to figure out what the problem could be.

Good luck

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome FishLore!
Your water parameters look good but let's do a water change anyway.
Water changes are the first line of defense when there is a problem with your fish. They won't hurt and it may make your fish feel better.
Could you tell us what else is in the tank please.
Carol

LisaB

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, my husband just phoned in reply to my numerous messages, post training. It turns out that the bronze cory was looking unwell last night but he didn't say anything because he didn't want to upset me (I'm pregnant and prone to crying over sick fish), bless him... but of course I have spent the last couple of hours in a complete tizz.

Thank you, everyone, for your help. Chris will be home shortly and will take over. I think I'll be paying a lot more attention next time he's changing water etc so I don't feel so completely useless.

If he's not already a member of this forum I'll get him to sign up - you have all been so helpful and encouraging!

Thanks again,

Lisa (the embarassed novice)

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Think its panda cory & cloud minnows.

The poor little guy, I think the panda is worried about him after all!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LisaB- Don't be embarrassed! We all started just about where you are but some of us a lot longer ago Please do have Chris sign up then you can both visit with us
You at least had presence of mind enough to look for help Hope Cory feels better soon.
Carol

LisaB

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Guys,

Thanks for helping my wife . The tank is 100L and the plants I have are Blyxa Japonica and Anubias Nana.
There aren't any white spots on the bronze cory although where his side fins attach to his body there is now some blood showing and his side fins have thinned a little.
I think I might treat with some Melafix as well.

Appreciate any advice if some of you have experienced this problem before.

Regards,
ChrisB

LisaB

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can't rule it out although after a closer look the cory's gills look slighty red and sore as well.
I've read that white spot can still kill your fish even before the white spots appear although I haven't introduced anything to the tank for at least 3 months.
Hopefully it's fungal and the Melafix will work its magic over night.
I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
ChrisB

LisaB

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Guys,

Just to provide you with an update regarding the sick cory. As stated above I've treated with Melafix and whether it's doing anything or not at this stage is unknown.
The bronze cory's body seems to always want to roll over onto either side and the cory is constantly trying to right itself. It's acting as though it's drunk is probably a better description.
The cory will start to slowy lean to the left, right itself, then slowly lean to the right, then it'll right itself, this is now a constant action. It can't sit still without swaying.
I've completed a 30% water change and will treat with Pimafix tomorrow.

Regards,
ChrisB

Cory-crazy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to hear your Bronze is poorly,if he has red or inflammed gills it could be bacterial infection,how does his barbels look? do they look worn down and stumpy?
Another thing could be he's constipated,where he leans over and may be affecting balance,try feeding him a cooked de-shelled pea,squish it between your fingers and put it by him to see if he eats it.fish love peas
Also corys are schooling fish and like to be in groups of 5/6 so they feel more secure and have fun playing
Good luck

LisaB

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Cory-Crazy,

The bronze cory's barbells look fine, like a moustache. Although his gills are red and inflammed looking and he's breathing rapidly.
I'll try feeding him with a cooked shelled pea just in case.

Regards,
ChrisB

1*Risk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Guys,

Just to provide you with an update regarding the sick cory. As stated above I've treated with Melafix and whether it's doing anything or not at this stage is unknown.
The bronze cory's body seems to always want to roll over onto either side and the cory is constantly trying to right itself. It's acting as though it's drunk is probably a better description.
The cory will start to slowy lean to the left, right itself, then slowly lean to the right, then it'll right itself, this is now a constant action. It can't sit still without swaying.
I've completed a 30% water change and will treat with Pimafix tomorrow.

Regards,
ChrisB
Kinda weird I just signed up and I just lost a cory with exact symptoms he rolled on his side alot a started darting around the tank like a bullet landing upside down; he died the next day. I did the water changes even soaked his food in garlic + water. The Blue Dwarf ate it all he didnt died couple hours later. I hope he gets better and you can save him......!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom